Author Topic: Tubby Paddy  (Read 1658 times)

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
Tubby Paddy
« on: March 25, 2008, 07:06:32 PM »
Hmm maybe you can help- paddy has always been on the "wide" side :luv:

But people are commenting, and of course I have noticed it too - I do know that it is winter and he only gets his two walks a day compared to being outside most of the time in the summer

He has been neutered also, and is two in August

I also hate fat dogs and think they are being fed too much - but he only gets 180g of jwb a day and two small bakers biscuits at bedtime - once in a blue moon he will get a treat such some primula in a Kong or one or two training treats but these are more like one or two a month.

His weight is 13.4

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Tubby Paddy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:24:25 PM »
How much exercise does he get? Diet is only part of the equation when they're putting on weight so perhaps he's not burning off enough calories? It doesn't seem like he's getting huge quantities of food either... Burns is low in fat if you want to change him to something other than JWB or you could bulk out some of his rations with veggies and cut back on the kibble but I'd maybe look at the exercise side of things first.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »
hmm he gets about 3 miles a day in the winter.. and more than double that in the summer

I've started weighing out his food again to ensure hubby is giving him the same as me.. Just in case!

hmm he gets about 3 miles a day in the winter.. and more than double that in the summer

I've started weighing out his food again to ensure hubby is giving him the same as me.. Just in case!

I have added some pics modelled by a (oh mum not again) Paddy

he looks slimmer in pics.!  Wish photos did that for me

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 12:16:14 AM »
Nice to hear from you again Julie.  Paddy is looking gorgeous  :luv: :luv:

Just checked Harvey's vet record and he was 14.70kg in October last year  :-\  Our vet thought he was fine, could feel his ribs and he had a defined waistline, but did say he had a very broad ribcage, but thought he was absolutely fine for his size. 
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:10:33 AM »
Perhaps Wherry has a broard rib cage too  ph34r She is a porker but can still feel her ribs too and she is constantly on the go  :huh: Will be watching this thread for any other tips ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »
Hiya Elisa - Hows things....- Harvey Goodness  :005:

Sometimes I think he looks tubby cos hes got short legs! :005:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:15:43 AM »
Jasper carries a little too much weight and one of our vets has picked up on him being over-weight but based on the wall charts for average weights, and wanted him on prescription diets from there.  >:( J is bigger than quite a few cockers we meet  :-\

The better vet at the practise, who looks and feels agrees he is perhaps a little heavier than he should be but was not overly concerned, I tend to trust her judgement and not just because she's telling me what I'd prefer to hear  :shades:

I've moved him off BARF as I couldn't predict the fat contents of the meat so he's on Arden Grange Lite and maintained his weight of 19.8kg so obviously I need to drop it a bit, his exercise will increase with the lighter nights too. 

Seriously thought I'd look out for a treadmill for him too - any thoughts?

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Bev

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:30:12 AM »
arnie is a big lad he is 18 .6 kgs.i did ask the vet was he over weight and he just said he is solid  but keep an eye on it .you have a very hansome young man

Offline julsngraham

• Site Member
  • My Baby at 11 Weeks
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »
A Treadmil   :005: :005: :005:  Well funny you should say that - I got one a couple of months ago and go on it every night and he sits with me - I have tried to entice him on it but all he got is NOSE BURN  :005: :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 06:40:30 PM »
His exercise sounds ok. Tilly is a big, broad dog too, especially for a girl. She really isn't fat at all, she has a waist and I can feel her ribs but her ribcage and chest are so broad and she's got such a big frame it's easy to think she's overweight when she's not, it's just bulk. There's a photo of her on the Working Cockers photo board just now taken by Krisdt at the weekend and it's the same angle as Paddy's photo here with his back facing you and she looks pretty chunky but it really is just a bad angle for a dog that's built the way she is!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »
It's difficult isn't it?  Dogs are like humans and their weight varies with the seasons.  Parker weighs over 19kg but there is not a pick on him, he is just a very solid lad.  When he is very hairy he looks absolutely huge but once he's had a haircut he looks very lean and muscular.

Don't fret too much.  As long as he's not wobbling about and obviously suffering from too much weight I wouldn't worry overly  :D
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »
Maudie was 12.6 kg and my vet told me she shouldnt become any heavier than thet. She is quite tall, taller than she should be and looks quite slender. I now weigh her food and give her the lowest amount recommended for her weight and age. I do think vets should look at the build of your dog and not just at their charts sometimes (Sorry thats not to offend anyone)
Paddy has a thick coat also which will make him look wider! Maudie looks thinner afetr a visit to the groomers! :D
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:08:34 PM »
I do think vets should look at the build of your dog and not just at their charts sometimes (Sorry thats not to offend anyone)
Paddy has a thick coat also which will make him look wider! Maudie looks thinner afetr a visit to the groomers! :D

That's why I'm selective about which vet I see now - and why I clip him the night before a visit  ph34r

The annoying thing with the vet who just used his chart with us, was when I challenged him about J being over the average height for starters, he announced that his Springer is tiny and consequently, when compared with the chart, would be way under weight  ::)

J probably could loose a little weight but neither is he obese.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:42:10 AM »
We are struggling with Jessie weight a bit currently.

She has had to start eating a prescription diet as she has become intolerant to Burns and is now allergic to rice, soyabean and sugarbeet  :005:

The vet suggested she was fed 220g a day across 2 meals. (This is the recommended amount for a 10kg dog  :-\)

Within a week we could she she was expanding and  chopped it down to 95g a meal....still was growing so she is now eating 85g a meal. She doesn't seem to be getting any bigger now but she hasn't lost the extra pounds lol....we are thinking of dropping it again to 80g a meal. If we do this we will have cut a third off the recommended weight shown on the bag for a 10kg dog - Jessie weight currently aroung 13.5 to 14kg and should weigh about 11kg.

Exercise has been difficult too with this baad weather - she gets a mile twice a day as long as its not raining...if its raining we play ball and do clicker training.....roll on the light nights so we can go for a run on the field (dogs not me lol)

Janey