Author Topic: Harringtons Dog Food  (Read 10097 times)

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
Harringtons Dog Food
« on: July 20, 2008, 12:56:59 AM »
Anyone on here fed their dog on Harringtons.  Ingredients seem OK.  Has anyone any views.

L
mollypooch

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Harringtons Dog Food
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:43:59 AM »

Haven't used it, but took a look on line, and it does seem a good quality kibble...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 04:15:19 PM »
Anyone else got any views.  Ingrediants look OK.  Only thing putting me off is the fact that its next to Bakers in Asda and Tesco, and the price seems low  £3.30 for 2kg.   
mollypooch

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 09:41:52 PM »
Took the plunge, bought a pack.

Molly's only had a few bits of it but  loves it, but then she loves everything.  Kibble is very small, but must be a similar size to Wafcol Salmon and Potato - but I did post on here that Wafcol Chicken and Corn (which shes on at moment) the kibble seemed huge.

Lynne
mollypooch

Offline Vista

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »
Lynne

Could you report back please with frequency of poo and smell (I see it contains Yucca to limit smell) and any change in behaviour etc? The dog not you!

After reading your post I went to Tesco and looked at the Harringtons packets, it seems to be selling well but they only had 2.5Kg bags. I see from their website it comes in 5Kg as well.

Presuming the 5Kg bag is slightly cheaper than 2 x 2.5Kg bags it would put it in the same price range as Autarky, Chudleys, CSJ  all the foods I am looking at.

I see it's sold in Asda as well as Tesco and the foods I am considering are mostly online and I begrudge paying for Delivery.

Offline Vista

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 05:14:40 PM »
Correction to last post, it should be £3.30 for a 2Kg bag not 2.5 and I see that the 5Kg bags will be available soon direct from Harringtons.

The feeding chart suggests 65-180g for 3-10Kg dog and 180-360g for 10-20Kg dog with 10% extra for working dog. This seems to compare favourably with the other brands I have been looking at.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 05:53:08 PM »
I see it contains Ash 8.5%. And does anyone have any idea what "digest" would mean as an ingredient?

I see from the website that they seem to have been around for years. I have never heard of it before. Has it been a local product up to now? Anyone heard of it before?

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:30:47 PM »
I see it contains Ash 8.5%. And does anyone have any idea what "digest" would mean as an ingredient?

I see from the website that they seem to have been around for years. I have never heard of it before. Has it been a local product up to now? Anyone heard of it before?

Not one I have heard of before, but to be honest until I found COL there were many others I had not heard of either - so you lives and you learns I guess, dunno about the digest content either. :huh:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Vista

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 08:00:48 PM »
Is the Ash content something to worry about? I see that some of the food in the Burns range has 9%.

Offline Vista

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »
Having just done a google search it appears that lots of dog foods contain poultry digest, I think it's a polite way of describing guts unless anyone knows any better?  No different to humans eating sausages I guess.

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »
Hi Vista

I'll report back in a couple of months on the Harringtons.  We have about 3 weeks supply of the Wafcol left and at the moment shes on 2parts wafcol 1 part harringtons.  She seems OK.  No probs with poops, still going 3 times a day, sometimes a bit "Mr Whippy"  ::) (Sorry)  But that could be the weather, shes also had an anti b injection and is on anti inflamtories at the moment (wet excema - see other post) so may be that could affect poops.

Behaviour wise, shes fine - not bouncing off the walls.  Kibble is not multi coloured, just didn't realise what digest was, sounds terrible.  If this food doesnt suit, we may try Skinners as that was the other I was going to get, having tried their free samples, but this seems harder to get than Wafcol.

Lynne

mollypooch

Offline Vista

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 09:54:28 PM »
Skinners is another brand I have been considering but is the most expensive of my selection. Ideally I am looking for a food I can get locally and I have a mole valley farmers shop near me who do stock Skinners and it is £26.99 for 15kg.

Have you considered Chudleys? I printed off 22 pages of info from their website today and it's another good food in that mid price range.

Offline biscuit

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 06:54:36 PM »
Hi folks - especially Vista

Molly is doing well on Harringtons (Lamb).  No probs with behaviour.  Poops ok.  In Tesco's today they had reduced to half price £1.60 (think). Main thing is, Molly loves it and no smelly breath.  Just hope they keep stocking it, hope they havent reduced it to get rid of it.

Lynne
mollypooch

Offline Vista

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »
I emailed Harringtons when this thread started and have received no reply, I tried calling their helpline and the number is not recognised. Hope they are not about to pull the plug because it looked to be the highest quality dry food available in supermarkets.

Offline Ori1

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 02:21:43 PM »
Mine are on skinners 'duck and rice' - but very interested in this. I've compare the analysis of both harringtons and skinners and not much difference at all.

Might check it out - thanks biscuit!!!!!!

:luv: