Author Topic: "Chappie"  (Read 1427 times)

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
"Chappie"
« on: September 09, 2008, 03:35:58 PM »
My mum has a golden lab (sorry yellow)  :-\ took him to the vets for an ear infection, the vet said he was oerweight and asked my Mum what she was feeding him on, she replied Iams, yes he said not a bad food, but too high in protein, your dog needs a less protein food and he recommended CHAPPIE dried, said it was a very good food, now Mum went out and purchased it and of course it was three times less in price so she was chuffed, I would like to know does anyone else feed Chappie who is it made by and why did the Vet say it was better than Iams, my second question is my Mum told him that Lucy is on JWB is that food less protein, and he told her at which point im now shocked that Chappie is just as good as JWB as it is still a natural food, is he right??????
If anyone does feed chappie dry is it any good ?????

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
Re: "Chappie"
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:43:13 PM »
some folk feed it to dogs who have sensitive tums.  im sure you will get more advice from someone who has used it  soon.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
I can't answer your question directly, but my vets recommend chappie when dogs have upsets and I think it's fairly uncomplicated in it's ingredients compared with a lot of other foods. Mine have had it in the past and it certainly suited them for a purpose and its a food I would use again.

My last dog was on JWB and in retrospect I don't think it was the right food for him and after an allergy scare with my Weim on JWB last year, it's not a brand will dabble with again in the future but I know that lots do feed it quite happily. Both mine are now on Burns and we'll stay that way for the foreseeable future as it seems to suit them and although being a low protein food it's got enough in it for them to be very active and fit still - although I do add a bit of oil otherwise they are prone to a bit of scurf on this food.

Hannah xx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 03:55:50 PM »
Chappie comes under the Pedigree umbrella - it's cheap because it has very high cereal content and not much in the way of real meat. I've used the tinned version of Chappie in the past - it's fish based and does seem to suit dogs with sensitive tummies. Not tried the dry food but would think if a low protein, low fat food was needed, Burns would be a better option (better ingredients)
Jane