Author Topic: Servicing cameras  (Read 2893 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Servicing cameras
« on: November 25, 2008, 12:30:12 AM »
Just wondered whether you have your camera serviced at all.  My DSLR gets a lot of use  ph34r and I just feel it's not performing as it should lately (bad workman blaming tools and all that) so do you get your camera serviced and where do you tend to go?

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Servicing cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:15:15 AM »
Jessops  :D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:37:41 AM »
I'd probably just stick to Canon itself

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/services_locator/index.aspx

what's the problem with camera Jenny?
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »
I'd probably just stick to Canon itself

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/services_locator/index.aspx

what's the problem with camera Jenny?

Me probably  ::)

Just doesn't seem to be locking on focus and the framing of the subject seems out, almost like the lens mirrors have moved a bit  :-\

Bearing in mind how often it's out, beaches, woods and fields, it could be full of dirt and'or might be from attempts to air-brush dust from the mirrors.  Going to make sure the settings are factory settings and start again though, wondering if I've saved something somewhere.

Nothing major, just sometimes dissappointed with ALL pictures when it's hard not to take a semi-decent pic with the 350D  :huh:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:05:15 PM »
that sounds like mine.....(or most likely me :shades: )

Sometimes I wonder about the framing too, and I was disappointed with a lot of my cornwall pics....

Maybe a good clean is in order here too  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 03:27:52 PM »
that sounds like mine.....(or most likely me :shades: )

Sometimes I wonder about the framing too, and I was disappointed with a lot of my cornwall pics....

Maybe a good clean is in order here too  ;)

Can't be both of us then - think we should stick to blaming the camera  ;)  :005:

The light was pretty bad when we were in Devon so I did fiddle with some settings but it hasn't been right for some time before. Will investigate where to take it, don't like the thought of being without though - how sad is that  ::)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 03:39:59 PM »
I know, being without the camera is what's putting me off sending mine away.  Maybe they're like car companies and we can have a 'loan' camera so we're not too anxious while we're parted from it...or maybe I can just win the lottery and buy a 50d anyway!!!

helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »
I always go for Canon for servicing, I sent mine and the lenses away when I got back from South America as it took at bit of a battering there. They do a good job... although I haven't had the camera out for ages now with one thing and another :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 11:06:41 PM »
I always go for Canon for servicing, I sent mine and the lenses away when I got back from South America as it took at bit of a battering there. They do a good job... although I haven't had the camera out for ages now with one thing and another :-\

Can I be nosey and ask how much it cost and how long it was away?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »

It was away for about 3 weeks, tbh I don't know how much it cost as my Stepdad sent one of his camera bodies off at the same time as the shutter was faulty and he paid for all of it which was quite handy :005:  I can ask him though.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »

It was away for about 3 weeks, tbh I don't know how much it cost as my Stepdad sent one of his camera bodies off at the same time as the shutter was faulty and he paid for all of it which was quite handy :005:  I can ask him though.

If he'd like to send mine and Helens I'm sure we'd both love him  :005:

I'll contact them, sure they must be able to quote basic service, thx  :-*

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 08:53:08 AM »
Just received email from the nearest Canon approved servicing place, they are quoting £160 to service the camera and £100 for the 70-300 lens and 10-14 days.

Looking on Ebay thats not far off the price to replace the camera  :-\ expected £70 - 80 but this seems a lot, although I know they are no-doubt complicated  :o

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 09:56:58 AM »
Just received email from the nearest Canon approved servicing place, they are quoting £160 to service the camera and £100 for the 70-300 lens and 10-14 days.

Looking on Ebay thats not far off the price to replace the camera  :-\ expected £70 - 80 but this seems a lot, although I know they are no-doubt complicated  :o

:o :o

is your 70-300 the IS lens?  If so that would probably be worth it, if its the USM III one then I wouldn't bother.....

http://www.photographers.co.uk/html/camera-repairs.cfm

have you checked the Yophotographer forum?  They may have some contacts for you (must look too)
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »

:o :o

is your 70-300 the IS lens?  If so that would probably be worth it, if its the USM III one then I wouldn't bother.....

http://www.photographers.co.uk/html/camera-repairs.cfm

have you checked the Yophotographer forum?  They may have some contacts for you (must look too)

It's the USM III so that is a lot of money to pay for the lens to be checked.

I've asked on another forum and someone is going to make some enquiries for me - will come back with any replies if they are more realistic charges.  Different if the camera had cost a LOT more but this seems a tad disproportionate  ::)

Will take a look at that website though thx.