Author Topic: Photo printer  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
Photo printer
« on: December 30, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
I asked OH to buy me a photo printer for Christmas, but he knows even less than I do about things like that, ie, nothing. He got me a HP printer which does photos, copies and scans, but it is huge, so we took it back. I think all I need is a small photo printer, but am unsure which one and how to use them. I saw a HP portable one on PC World website that looks good, but are they worth the money or will I spend a fortune on paper and cartridges just to print a few photos?
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
Re: Photo printer
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »
You can get Tesco value paper that is the right size (6x4), but I'd check how much the ink costs.
In some of the schools I work in, they take a memory card to Tesco and print the photos off at the photo lab as they reckon it's cheaper than buying ink.
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »
Have a look Here Fiona

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 05:42:09 PM »
I would go for a Canon that has separate cartridges for red, green, yellow and black.  Lidl regularly has cartridges on sale to fit these, and they are much cheaper.  Tesco also have their own brand that fit.

Canon printers are also first class.  Here is the link to the Canon site http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_iP3500/index.asp but you'll get this printer, IP 3500, cheaper at Dabs or one of the other Internet dealers.

Offline heelers n cockers

• Site Member
  • Freddy Flashback-BIS Colne Valley '09 & RBIS '10
    • Moonwillow Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »
epson convert here! my current photo printer is an epson stylus DX4800 it is an all-in-one as that is what i needed, but the epson durabright inks are fantastic  :shades: beautiful colour clarity, photo quality printing, waterproof (tried and tested! printed a photo and dunked it in water-still a perfect picture-if a little soggy!  :005:) and supposedly the colour will last 100 years! (but don't quote me on that!  :005: i'm happy that things i've printed 3/4 years ago are still the same quality!  :005:) but not sure on the current small printers that epson do, i would recommend buying genuine epson durabright inks only and not compatibles as they will usually ruin the printer eventually  ::) i buy all my inks on ebay-far cheaper than anywhere else!
Cocker Spaniels leave their pawprints on your heart......
Lancashire Heelers however.....leave their teethmarks on your trousers!

Champagne for my real friends...Real pain for my sham friends....

http://moonwillowcockerspaniels.piczo.com

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 07:01:40 PM »
You can get Tesco value paper that is the right size (6x4), but I'd check how much the ink costs.
In some of the schools I work in, they take a memory card to Tesco and print the photos off at the photo lab as they reckon it's cheaper than buying ink.

One of the photo mags did a review recently; and they concluded the same thing - it is better value to use an online or High Street photo printing service than to print at home  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »
We have a HP printer,scanner, copier. It prints excellent photos but as Cob-Web has just said, it's a lot easier and cheaper to get them done online or in a shop. I use Jessops as I like the quality of the prints, but I'm not sure if they're a local chain of camera shops or a national one.

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 08:32:09 PM »
We have a HP printer,scanner, copier. It prints excellent photos but as Cob-Web has just said, it's a lot easier and cheaper to get them done online or in a shop. I use Jessops as I like the quality of the prints, but I'm not sure if they're a local chain of camera shops or a national one.

Jessops are national  :D
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 09:59:44 PM »
7dayshop.com

do amazing ink cartridge prices  :D
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx