Author Topic: Which camera do you use for action pics  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Mr Darcy

Which camera do you use for action pics
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:28:48 AM »
There are some amazing pictures of cockers taken by members, I am looking for a SLR digital camera, not bothered about it being the latest model as i will probably be buying one second hand. Are there any CoLers that can advise a me what to avoid and what is a good choice for a first  SLR camera. Oh and if anyone has on old Nikon D700 lying about that they want to give away (average price(£1,750)   :shades: I'll look after it for you  ;) :005:

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
Re: Which camera do you use for action pics
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »
I use a Cannon EOS 400D which I find really easy to use and not that I know properly how to use it yet but took these ones of Poppy on the first day!

After my enthusiasm about it - my friend got a reconditioned one off eBay for £275!

Offline Mr Darcy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 09:13:10 AM »
Wow they are fantastic pictures and just the sort i want to take, it's mind boggling researching which to buy, so thankyou. Back to ebay again :D

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:15:51 AM »
Great photos Amanda!!  :luv:

I have the Canon EOS 400D also - very good camera, pretty easy to use!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »
Wow they are fantastic pictures and just the sort i want to take, it's mind boggling researching which to buy, so thankyou. Back to ebay again :D

I would not know where to start but for a neighbour who is a graphic designer and keen photographer saying this was a great starting point.  I know from Posts on here that when you get more into it - its all about the Lens and you can get better camera's but it does for me and if you can pick up a reconditioned one I think they are real value for money.

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
I use a Canon 350D (would love to trade up but can't really afford it). We did spend almost the same amount on a zoom lens though which is a Canon 70-300mm IS USM. The standard lens (18-55mm) isn't much good really for action shots unless you're quite close
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 12:08:13 PM »
Any of the Canon EOS or Nikon D series, or any good quality Fuji, Pentax or Olympus DSLR will give decent action shots if you use them properly. Both Canon and Nikon have just launched new 'entry level' DSLRs which are supposed to be very good, the EOS 1000D and the D60, both are aimed at the beginner market, there's a comparative review of them in this month's 'What Digital Camera' magazine. If you look on ebay or go to a camera dealer you could probably pick up a second hand 350 or 400D or a D40 for less than £300. It's the lenses you use that really make most of the difference though and they are expensive.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline debsallen

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 12:10:55 PM »
I so want a new camera after reading your great reviews, I love taking photos but really don't know what I am doing withg lenses etc, Amazon seem to have packages including a lense, would this be easy enough?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canon+eos

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 12:27:36 PM »
Mines the Canon 350D, bought the Rebel (USA version) reconditioned on Ebay and not regreted it a bit, usually use with the 70 -300 lens.

Only thing I needed to use the USA one was a converter for the battery charger, just a cheap travel adapter!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline seaangler

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 12:29:31 PM »
The wife has the Canon 350D...And a very good camera for the price (around £350)It would sure blast of pictures in very quick rate and at a high pixcel rate to and soon get through a four Gb memory card in no time(if you keep your finger on the button...It is a fairly big camera all the same....

But i have also posted a good option for Furball being a first timer to a camera that would meet your needs in another post...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:34:13 PM »
I cant say I know what I am doing I just stick it on sports mode with multi-shot and click away  :005: :005:

The one that you are looking at Debsallen is almost identical to mine (400D) - I only have the standard lens and have taken some (what I think) are fab pics although there are 1,000's of outtakes!  The cannon has several settings (Portrait, Sports, Automatic, night, landscape etc) so if you dont want to mess around too much you can just use those and click away. 

I think the things to be prepared for is the size - its not like whipping your little hand held one out of your pocket.

The best things for me is that I can multi-shot - for the action pics, and the clarity of colour and depth (not the right term probably!) of the pictures -they just seem to be so much clearer than I could take with my other camera (which was a very good wee Cannon).

The lens is really important - my neighbour who is way more into it than me has a massive one  :005: so the zoom is amazing - but I'm happy for now with the standard lens till I learn what I am doing.  The good thing is that you can add the lens later.

No expert - Nicola knows what she is talking about  :D - but thats my personal experience!

Offline seaangler

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 12:42:46 PM »
amanda9586....I do know what you mean in sport mode...Thats why i have an external 500gb drive  next door to the computer to store her pictures on...When on holiday she likes to capture lightling and the 350d on a slow setting wth the lens open can do that and have some wonderful photos of lightling in Mexico...And also good like you say in sport mode to capture dauphins coming out the water..Almost like video to see as you go through one frame at a time amazeing....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Mr Darcy

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 12:47:12 PM »
Wow some really great cameras, a little out of my price range at the moment. I have seen the fuji finepix S5800 not exactly a SLR but some great reviews for under £100. I have a month to decide to might keep an eye out for a second hand better spec one. Thankyou everyone i will look at all the reviews for the cameras mentioned. :D Seaangler just going to read the post, Thankyou, you are very kind to take the time to do this.

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
Canon EOS 400D here as well. As others have said, great cam and easy to use.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 07:20:26 PM »
TBH if you have a canon 400d and only use it in the 'automatic' modes then you're missing out on the potential of the camera and of your photo's.

None of my photo's are taken on sports or Auto - I have so much more to learn with it yet too.

experiment with the other settings  ;)
helen & jarvis x