Author Topic: which camera to get....  (Read 1836 times)

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
which camera to get....
« on: February 03, 2009, 06:42:12 PM »
birthday coming up soon (well April :shades:) and thinking of asking for a new camera had mine quite a while now and its only 3mega pixel things, so think i could do with upgrading.
would like a new camera to give me clearer pic's but also would like it to be able to take continuous pics, so i can get Tilly running or jumping, some of your's on here are so good wondering what COLer's would recommend, ideally like it under the £200 mark and if poss able to fit in pocket  ph34r ;)
any advice warmly welcome ;)
chantelle & Tilly

Offline Coco

• Site Member
Re: which camera to get....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »
I don't actually have it but I did loads of research and came up best with one of the Canon Ixus or next best, Panasonic Lumix  ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline beebee

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 07:39:52 PM »
Hi i got the Panansonic Lumix DMC-TZ3, i am pleased with it, they will have probably brought out a newer version now though :D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:10:12 PM »
OH and I bought a new compact a couple of weeks ago as we're off to NYC in March and I don't want to lug an SLR around. We went for the Canon Powershot SX110 IS, I preferred it to the IXUS models (looked at the 85 IS and 90 IS) as it has full manual controls and a 10x optical zoom but is still handy compact size. Our next choice was the Panasonic Lumix TZ5 but again the Powershot offers more manual control which I like as I'm so used to using my SLRs plus I think Canon lenses are superior to Panasonic's Leica approved lenses (there's a difference in a Leica lens and a Leica approved one!). So far I'm pleased with it although we've mostly only used it for taking video clips of the dogs so far, NY will be the first big test of it picture-taking wise. We got a good deal on the camera in Jessops, they're doing it for £199 for a limited time, I think it's usually about £250.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:19:24 PM »
I've also been doing some research as I'd like to get an updated digi camera to my present Olympus.  I've just been looking at the Canon Ixus 80.  Haven't got it yet, but have had those in the know researching for me and all three came up with this camera in their top 5.  I'm after doing some of the mini videos, ever since my sister did a few for me a couple of years ago.  Little did we know that 3 months later I was to lose my old springer to liver disease.  Those little videos are amongst my most treasured possessions and I want to ensure I have these girls on film too.

Will be watching any additional posts on here with interest.

Offline tillyson

• i belive i can fly
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:25:34 PM »
haven't looked at the canon ones did look into he panasonic TZ5 which did seem to tick the boxes, will check out the canon as well now  ;)
chantelle & Tilly

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 12:32:28 PM »
Make sure that you get one with an optical viewfinder.  Trying to take a picture with an lcd screen can be very difficult, particularly in bright sunshine.

I think all Canons have viewfinders.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:57:06 PM »
I also brought the wife the Panasonic TZ5 of Ebay for £160 but was up all night to beat the others to it for the bargain price..She wonted a smaller compact camera from her canon 350d so she could put it in her handbag...Its a lovely little camera that does every thing that you wont it to do...

But if you are after another ideal camera that can take the knocks in life Ideal to even take in the swimming pool with out flier of water getting into the camera(you can even take it to depths of three miters under water and take video also with it...It can also capture two Minuit's of pichures were you see frame by frame in high pixcel count...Ideal for capturing fast moveing objects (Like dogs running)...Also if you set it up on a try pod and put it on one setting with out even tuching the camera it will take a pichure of you one you once you start to smile at it :005: It is not cheap by all means(around the £180 price mark) And that camera is the (Olympus 1050SW) no bigger than four inches by three inches  and has a big 3.5 screen to view from....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 08:57:16 PM »
..."the" wife?  Shame on you young man.  Did you not mean to say "my darling wife?" :lol:

PS to anyone reading I have no vested interest.  Just feel agrieved as spouses being referred to as "the wife/huband".  Shocking!! :shades: