Author Topic: Sigma lenses  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
Sigma lenses
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:17:40 PM »
Are these OK? I'm looking to get a 50-200mm for the canon 1000d (don't know if I phrased that correctly- novice here). The Sigma lenses are HEAPS cheaper!! Are they any good? Also, what's the 70-300mm lens like? I tried it in the shop, and I can see that it would be great for taking distant shots, but everything seemed so close.

Help!!!   :huh:

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
Re: Sigma lenses
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »
I have the sigi 70-300 and love it, good for when those doglets are right over the other side of the field!!! and moving.

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
Do you have the 50-200 lens as well? If so which of the 2 do you use more? I'm picking up the Sigma 50-200 of a friend who doesn't use their camera anymore, but may buy the 70-300 one as well.

Offline Lilly's Mum

• Lilly and Harvey
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 11:45:13 AM »
No sorry, I have the 17-85 IS USM Canon lense which I use for general purposes, then I have the niftyfifty for macro, and I added the siggy for distance. I have taken some nice pics of the moon, but they need some work in PS to get the clours/shades right, but its fun trying.

I don't know of the 50-200, but can't think it would be too different from a 70-300.

Have fun anyway  :D

Offline silly milly

• Donator
  • silly milly
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »
hubby has the sigma 28-300 lens and he loves it!

before he went digital, he also had sigma on his pentax slr.

never had a problem!!!!
with lots of love from silly milly and her mum!!!!

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:07:10 PM »
I've currently got the sigma 28-300, although a bloke at work is coveting it atm

nice lenses, cheaper than canon, there are some sigma lenses like the 10-20 which are better than anything else

Phil

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:56:44 PM »
Ooh, not heard of that one. I've just ordered the canon 55-250 but may  exhange it. The guy said it was worth the £100 difference due to the image stabiliser. Is that true?

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 02:15:39 PM »
Wow. Just rang up to enquire about the 28-300!! OH would MURDER me, that's a holiday!!!! Sounds fab though. I've ordered the canon 55-250, it sounds idiot christina proof!  :005:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »
Wow. Just rang up to enquire about the 28-300!! OH would MURDER me, that's a holiday!!!! Sounds fab though. I've ordered the canon 55-250, it sounds idiot christina proof!  :005:

Will you let me know how you get on with it? I'm clueless about lenses ph34r :lol2:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 02:51:21 PM »
It's meant to be coming on Friday, so I'm sure there will be some very grumpy blurry pictures over the weekend. Poor Harvey is sitting by my feet completely unaware  :005:

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:18 PM »
I have used them on my pentax and looked at them for the Nikon D50 too.  Sigma lenses are very good and alwasy win lots of awards for thier lenses.  very sharp and very good quality.  also depth of field and number of F stops is better than other lenses.  you get more choice than a lot of own manufacturer lenses too ie more choice than Cannon make for thier bodies.  we have always been really pleased with them.  i remember buying my first one when i was 18ish (am now 32) and paid £800 for it as it had won lots of awards and got really good reviews.  my mum was shocked......

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »
I've gone for the canon one. I've been looking everywhere for the Sigma equivalent, but everywhere has got a delay on ordering and I desperately want it for my hols!

£800 for a lens!  :o :o I thought £300 was expensive!!! I'm way too amateur and clumsy to be allowed to carry and operate anything that expensive  :005: :005:

There are loads of papperazzi outside Kerry Katona's house at the moment. I'm tempted to ask them to show me how to use my camera properly over the weekend.  :005: :005: It'll give them something to do.

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »
now that would be worth seeing  :D