Author Topic: Anyone had success with printing photo's for mounting  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
Anyone had success with printing photo's for mounting
« on: April 20, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »
I hope someone out of all you clever Colers can help :shades: ...

Yesterday at a show I went to, a woman from my training class managed to get a 1st which means she has now won out of that class and can move on to a higher one ... bless her she cried when the judge gave her the rosette...she has been trying for several years to achieve this, earlier that day I took some head shot photo's of her dog which has come out quite nice and I'd like to print one of them and frame it for her and give it to her tomorrow night as a keepsake of the day.

Does anyone know the best way to print it out i.e. the best photo paper or whatever to use as I've not had much success in the past with printing photo's before the quality is never as good as I'd like.
Or is it better to take it to a shop and have it done ... not done that with digital photo's before either, if so do you take your camera's card along... rather do it myself if I can though.

Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Re: Anyone had success with printing photo's for mounting
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 04:20:21 PM »
probably best to take it to tesco/asda/boots etc for a better print.

Just take your camera, the card, or it on a cd - they will be able to cope with all of those options!

Good luck

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »
If you have taken it with a decent camera that has a good lens, then it should print out OK with a modern ink jet printer.

Don't reduce the resolution before you print out and it should be fine.  I use Lidl's A4 photo paper and get perfect prints.  You could use half of a sheet of A4 if that is too big for your mount.

If you want to mount the picture on mounting board you can get mounting spray to coat the back of the print and then carefully place it on the board and press it down.  Ideally, use a roller if you can get one.  I used to mount 10" x 8" photographic prints, and bigger, using mounting tissue and a cool domestic iron - not a steam iron.

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:47:35 PM »
I'm not saying this because I work for Asda, but they do have great success with printing photos.  Recently it was our daughters 16th birthday, I had one picture of her which was a bit folded etc. but wanted it printed on a BIG birthday banner - 7' x 2'  this was the result

Was she embarrassed or what.. :005:

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:47:54 PM »
probably best to take it to tesco/asda/boots etc for a better print.

Just take your camera, the card, or it on a cd - they will be able to cope with all of those options!

Good luck

Thanks for replying so soon :blink: at least i know what to take with me if that's the only way to get it done in time, do you know if they do this while you wait?

Still would like to know how to do it myself though for a later date, there must be some do's and dont's for better photo printing.

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
If you have taken it with a decent camera that has a good lens, then it should print out OK with a modern ink jet printer.

Don't reduce the resolution before you print out and it should be fine.  I use Lidl's A4 photo paper and get perfect prints.  You could use half of a sheet of A4 if that is too big for your mount.

If you want to mount the picture on mounting board you can get mounting spray to coat the back of the print and then carefully place it on the board and press it down.  Ideally, use a roller if you can get one.  I used to mount 10" x 8" photographic prints, and bigger, using mounting tissue and a cool domestic iron - not a steam iron.

Thanks for that, yes I took it with my Nikon SLR and a good lens. Perhaps in the past I've reduced the resolutions which is why they've not come out that good plus not such a good camera then.
I might give it a go later as I've got two types of photo paper and see how it comes out, if not I can always go to Tesco's.
Thanks also for the tips on mounting ;)

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 04:58:27 PM »
Or maybe Asda ... Thats a lovely banner Sharon :D gosh those supermarkets do it all these days..

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 05:02:33 PM »
i would go through a print company online like Photobox - the paper is decent quality and they are experts at printing  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 05:16:28 PM »

Thanks for that, yes I took it with my Nikon SLR and a good lens. Perhaps in the past I've reduced the resolutions which is why they've not come out that good plus not such a good camera then.
I might give it a go later as I've got two types of photo paper and see how it comes out, if not I can always go to Tesco's.

Taken with a Nikon SLR you should have no problem producing a superb print.  I have a Canon DSLR and a Canon Pixma IP 3000 printer and get excellent prints on A4.  There's no reason why you shouldn't get similar with a good ink jet printer.

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 05:29:37 PM »
i would go through a print company online like Photobox - the paper is decent quality and they are experts at printing  ;)

Thanks Helen just had a look at Photobox and looks good plus I think very reasonable ...wish I knew about them earlier as they do same day dispatch if you order before 4pm >:( will have a go myself later as I would like it for tomorrow if it comes out rubbish will order from them and give it to her next week.... she's bringing cakes and bubbly tomorrow evening to celebrate so would be nice to give it to her then...

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »

Taken with a Nikon SLR you should have no problem producing a superb print.  I have a Canon DSLR and a Canon Pixma IP 3000 printer and get excellent prints on A4.  There's no reason why you shouldn't get similar with a good ink jet printer.

I have a DSLR always forget the D also my printer is a Canon Pixma MP 600.

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 06:29:23 PM »
We have a Canon 350D and an Epson RX620 photo printer, I have never printed one out yet that I have been happy with.   >:(  I will vouch for Asda, I have all mine printed out there now, they are great and by the time I have paid for the paper and the inks, it works out cheaper.  I did manage to scan a copy of a photograph once and print it out, it came out really good, but has faded very badly on the wall, the colours look really odd now. (I have an orange DS, with greeny coloured hair, he looks like an oompaloompa.....  :005: )  Must take it down it's not very flattering.  ph34r

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline BettyBoo

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2009, 07:32:11 PM »
I always use Photobox and the print and paper quality is really good.
Barbara, Betty & Millie x

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 07:59:26 PM »
You have probably done it by now but Paul has just had two done of Woofie and Maddie for me for my birthday and he had them done at Asda and they are brilliant  :luv:

See you tomorrow  :D

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx