Author Topic: Simple to use but good digital camera recommendation  (Read 2540 times)

Offline sassie

• Site Member
Simple to use but good digital camera recommendation
« on: September 16, 2009, 08:21:46 PM »
Hi - plse could someone recommend a good, 'point and shoot' digital camera for me.  I am not very good with technical things, so it cannot be too complicated but I would like it to be able to take good, clear pictures.

I haven't been able to post hardly any photos of Larnie, and she is getting older now - I would like to have a few for memories sake, and as we go on lovely walks there are plenty of opportunities.

Many thanks in advance.

T x

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
Re: Simple to use but good digital camera recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 08:43:59 PM »
If your planning on taking it out lots in all sort of weather, ie sunny, snowy, `moist`, a waterproof compact may be a great idea. Depending on budget you might want to look at something similar to this?
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&productId=1500519777&langId=-1&engine=froogle&keyword=Panasonic+Lumix+DMCFT1EBS+Waterproof+12MP+Camera+-+Silver&_$ja=tsid:11527%7Ccc:%7Cprd:0562115%7Ccat:Digital+Cameras

Hope that helps
Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:40:39 PM »
I'd go for the Canon Powershot A1100.

See here and look at the reviews. http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?action=post;topic=64626.0;num_replies=1

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »
I've got the panasonic lumix TZ5 it's a great little camera.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 09:54:31 PM »
I have the Pansonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 - bought it for the action shots as all I got was a blur on my old camera  :005:

Offline sassie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 10:29:05 PM »
Thanks guys, it does help - I wouldn't have had a clue what to get.  I shall take a look at all of these recommendations on line tomorrow and order one of them.  Advice much appreciated. T x

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:40:38 PM »
ihave a olmypus and Luton cameras are sellling it for 65pounds and they are 169usually
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline sassie

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »
ihave a olmypus and Luton cameras are sellling it for 65pounds and they are 169usually

wow!  do they have a website?

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:56:07 PM »
Yes just tapin Luton cameras I sent mine of for repair and saw this at 60 and mine was going to cost £35 to repair You can set scenes such as snow indoors has video a macro lense which takes good pictures of flowers ect video You could check it on the olmypus website.It is quitecompact and quite robust and it only took 24hrs to come. hope this helps
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline smartietopdog

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 06:48:19 AM »
I'd go for a Kodak every time. So easy to use, and the Easyshare software is so easy even my mum can figure it out! ph34r

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 03:35:35 PM »
Canon for me - and you can stick it on auto and let it do the work  ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline sassie

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »

Sounds like my sort of gadget!  :005:  If anyone who knows about cameras gets a chance, there is a digital camera as 'todays special value' on QVC (640 on sky), what do you think?  It's a samsung.

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 10:57:23 PM »

Sounds like my sort of gadget!  :005:  If anyone who knows about cameras gets a chance, there is a digital camera as 'todays special value' on QVC (640 on sky), what do you think?  It's a samsung.

Hmm, just had a look and I kinda feel at that price it's something and nothing IYSWIM, I wouldn't pay that for a sumsung as I'd go for Canon, Panasonic, Sony in that order, perhaps Nikon and Pentax before even and I'd look into SLR and pay the extra though obviously not compact. Having said that I love QVC for the 30 day guarantee, so I'd very much consider the gamble as you can get it on the installments and send it back if it's a no go.... ::) Sorry, that seems to totally contradict itself but what I mean is it's a no risk (well, prob about £6 p&p and you'll get to keep the pics) so while it wouldn't be my first choice I'd probably try it given the conditions as if it works out you'll have saved time and hassle ;)
I'm the kind of person who'll take a few days to research and get the best price when what I save in getting a good deal I could have spent in time better used  :005:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 11:03:30 PM »

Hmm, just had a look and I kinda feel at that price it's something and nothing IYSWIM, I wouldn't pay that for a sumsung as I'd go for Canon, Panasonic, Sony in that order, perhaps Nikon and Pentax before even and I'd look into SLR and pay the extra though obviously not compact. Having said that I love QVC for the 30 day guarantee, so I'd very much consider the gamble as you can get it on the installments and send it back if it's a no go.... ::) Sorry, that seems to totally contradict itself but what I mean is it's a no risk (well, prob about £6 p&p and you'll get to keep the pics) so while it wouldn't be my first choice I'd probably try it given the conditions as if it works out you'll have saved time and hassle ;)
I'm the kind of person who'll take a few days to research and get the best price when what I save in getting a good deal I could have spent in time better used  :005:

I had a look and not sure whether it does action shots etc which is what I was looking for in a camera.   I use mine on the IA button, where the camera does all the work, I haven't used the other manual features yet and the action shots where the camera continuously shoots is great.       

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »
I suppose that I'm biased but I'd go for a Canon every time. 

My first decent camera was a Canon, and I have had nine over the past thirty odd years.  Indeed, I still have five of them, although three are film cameras.  None of them have ever had a fault and I would recommend a Canon every time.  Canon are also supposed to make the best lenses.