Author Topic: Action shots  (Read 2225 times)

Offline toro

Action shots
« on: September 01, 2009, 01:51:50 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has managed to take decent action shots with a 'normal' digital camera or do you really need to use an SLR (I think thats what you call it)? I've seen some pretty amazing pics on here and would like to get action shots of Ollie, 'specially of him catching his frisbee cos he's pretty amazing at it!!  :luv:
Angi, Alex, Freckles and Ollie

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: Action shots
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »
The speeds of normal digital cameras are improving now, but I always struggled and enough zoom for action shots can be a problem on them too... I'm still struggling a bit with my DSLR too because I don't have any really decent lenses yet  :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:59 PM »
It's not impossible to get good action shots with a compact but it is more difficult, mainly I find because of shutter lag - the time that elapses between you pressing the shutter and the photo actually being taken - and as Hannah says the zoom doesn't tend to be long enough on them to get in close to the action. It's not just a matter of getting a DSLR and automatically getting amazing photos either though, they may be faster but you see just as many out of focus and poorly composed SLR photos as you do from compacts, and the lens you use definitely makes a big difference.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
After 100`s of missed shots using a compact I could never get a desent shot.I moved up to a budget canon DSLR and then buying a top end lens I have just about mastered the art of catching action shots with the dog at full speed. Takes a bit a practice and loads of patience but when you get one great shot you'll become very critical of your own work and yearn for better ones. Very addictive indeed.
Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 04:10:50 PM »
I think I have only taken about 2 reasonable action shots using a compact digital (out of many 100s), and it very frustrating.  I'm looking now for a reasonable SLR in the hope that I can capture some decent shots of mine.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
it wouldnt matter what i had im just really rubbish at taking pics  ph34r

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 04:17:34 PM »
You can pick up a descent DSLR package with a couple of lenses (70-300mm & kit lens) for around the £350-400 mark now.
As an aside, if you look at Canon EOS for arguments sake, all the lenses are interchangable, therefore you could use an SLR lens on a DSLR if that makes sense.
Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »
it wouldnt matter what i had im just really rubbish at taking pics  ph34r

That sounds just like me , i cant take a good picture of Dennis sitting still  :005:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 06:45:18 PM »
I have a Canon 1000D package which I got off ebay (although I have since bought a dearer lens which gives much better results) - as a novice I think it is great, but I am still a long way from getting great action shots. It is really hard to get a hang of how to do things right but even so the results have been much better than anything I could have attempted with my compact :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline toro

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 07:18:36 PM »
My father in law has offered to lend me his SLR camera - will save me a small fortune just now and gives me a chance of trying one out before I buy! So watch this space for some photos .... just gotta wait on some good weather now!
Angi, Alex, Freckles and Ollie