Author Topic: Help! My camera is broken  (Read 3793 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Help! My camera is broken
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:59:06 PM »
 :'(

It started yesterday on my Canon EOS 1000D, I began to get this message up:

Err99
Shooting is not possible - turn the power switch to {OFF} and {ON} again or reinstall the battery

Turning the camera on and off doesn't help but taking out and reinstalling the battery seems to work for a while. I have a replacement battery which I'm charging up now but I'm really worried there's something serious wrong with the camera. Has anyone had anything like this before or know what's going on? I haven't been able to take a photo of Brodie all day and I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms :005:

Jenny xx

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Help! My camera is broken
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »
is it only with one particular lens on the camera?

there are also 2 batteries in the camera, so make sure you remove both  ;)

there are lots of links on err 99

here's one

http://www.gadgetvenue.com/canon-error-99-firmware-update-10282257/

I have it with one particular Sigma lens but that's a known problem and unfortunately that one is a Sigma fault not Canon....
helen & jarvis x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:34:06 PM »
I'll try the other lens - I though I had solved the problem when I put the new battery in but it only took about 5 photos before the message appeared again >:D. I have no idea where the second battery is so I'll hunt that down and try it too. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at the firmware thing if nothing else works x

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »
the second battery is a flat disc shaped one that is tucked away at the side of the battery housing  - you will have to re-set all the time/date features if you remove that one and your pics will probably reset to 000001  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:26:51 PM »
Right the second lens isn't working either :-\. I'm going to leave things until tomorrow before I have a look at the other battery, the light's not very great at the moment.................. I have a solutions disk, not sure if that will be able to help me but I will look at it tomorrow too -  this is very frustrating :embarassed:,

thanks for your help xx

x In memory of Barney x

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »
From the web

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I'm sorry to hear that
your EOS camera is displaying an "ERR 99" message.

To isolate the cause of the issue, we suggest that you do the
following:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Remove the lens, battery, and CF card.
3. Allow the camera to sit without power for approximately 20 minutes.
4. Insert a fully charged battery, and turn on the camera.

Does the "ERR 99" message appear? If it does, then the camera should
be serviced. If it does not, then please proceed to the next set of
steps:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Insert the CF card.
3. Turn on the camera.
4. Format the CF card in the camera.

Does the "ERR 99" message appear? If so, then the CF card is the most
likely source of the issue. Try using a different card.

If the message does not appear, please complete the following steps:

1. Turn off the camera.
2. Clean the lens contacts by gently rubbing them with a pencil eraser
or soft cloth. Be careful that you do not let any debris fall into the
camera body.
3. Reattach your lens.
4. Turn on the camera.

If the "ERR 99" message only appears when one particular lens is
attached, then that lens should be examined by a service technician.

If you see the "ERR 99" with a different Canon lens attached, then the
camera should be serviced.

For factory service, forward your digital camera (remove the CF card
and battery) properly packaged and insured, with a letter describing the
difficulties. Be sure to include your name, address, telephone number,
and proof of warranty (if applicable). Send to the Canon Factory

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »
Excellent, I will give this a try - thanks Superscot :D.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:03:22 PM »
Oh no! Have you sorted it Jenny!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »
Oh no! Have you sorted it Jenny!

Not yet ph34r. If I take the battery out and reinstall it before I start taking photos it works fine (thank doG :lol:) - I have a feeling I'm going to end up having to send it off to get fixed though :P

x In memory of Barney x

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
Not yet . If I take the battery out and reinstall it before I start taking photos it works fine (thank doG ) - I have a feeling I'm going to end up having to send it off to get fixed though

Jenny have you tried the camera using another card? If this also fails send it back as it will still be under warranty 

cheers Colin

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 07:28:23 PM »
Not yet . If I take the battery out and reinstall it before I start taking photos it works fine (thank doG ) - I have a feeling I'm going to end up having to send it off to get fixed though

Jenny have you tried the camera using another card? If this also fails send it back as it will still be under warranty 

cheers Colin

Thanks Colin, I'll buy a new one tomorrow - I have been wondering if it could be something to do with that as there's been a couple of times recently where the camera has came up with 'unable to view image' in the playback mode.......

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
Oh no, is it still not working???!! :'(
Mine still occassionally doesn't turn on straight away (to Harvey and OH's delight). :-\

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
Oh no, is it still not working???!! :'(
Mine still occassionally doesn't turn on straight away (to Harvey and OH's delight). :-\

Nope, changing the card didn't work either :'(. Off to the shop I think. The problem is I bought it off ebay so I'm not sure where I stand warranty-wise :-\. Should have known at the time that I was making a big mistake ::). Sorry to hear your one is causing you problems too, it's very annoying, isn't it >:D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 05:34:07 PM »
I know, because they're not cheap either!  >:(
Fingers crossed.  :luv:

Offline superscot

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 11:47:56 PM »
Jennybee from the Canon website !

Repair Process
My Canon product is not working – What should I do?

In the first instance, check our Frequently Asked Questions website for tips, tricks and advice on your product to check whether it has a fault. You can also refer to the troubleshooting section in the User manual which can be found in our Download Centre.

If you can not find the answer to your question you can always contact our helpdesk for technical assistance or further advice.

Please note that there may be small differences to the repair process depending on your country of residence. For more specific information we would advise you to check the local Canon website support pages for your country of residence.

My Canon product needs to be repaired – What is the next step?

1) Please complete the repair form to send in with your product.

This provides us with all the information that we need to complete your repair as quickly as possible and enables us to keep you updated on its status. If you are unable to print out the form you can always send us a covering letter including your contact and product information and a clear description of the problem you are having with your product. Please refer to the repair form if you have any doubts as to which information is required.

2) Locate your nearest authorized service facility.

To find out where to send your product, please click here to locate your nearest authorized service facility.

3) Ensure that you include all necessary documentation.

If your product is still under warranty you will also need to send in a copy of your proof of purchase to claim a warranty repair. If you are unsure which documents to send in please refer to your local language website to clarify which documents are required when claiming a warranty repair.

4) Make sure that your product is securely packaged.

Make sure that your product is securely packaged to ensure that the risk of damage during transit to the repair facility is minimized. Canon accepts no liability for any loss or damage that occurs during transit and recommends that you insure the product against any potential loss or damage before you send it. Alternatively you can always take your product to the repair facility in person.

I have sent my product in for repair with all the necessary documents – What happens now?

Your product will be registered in our repair system once it has been received by our repair facility and an acknowledgement will be sent via post or e-mail so you know that it has been received.

If you have claimed a warranty repair our technicians will check the product and documentation that has been provided to ensure that they comply with the warranty terms and conditions. If the product or documentation does not meet our warranty terms and conditions you will be contacted and advised that we will provide an estimate of the cost of repair.

If you have forgotten to send in your documents you will be contacted to request that you forward them to us as soon as possible. Unfortunately we will be unable to process your repair whilst we are waiting for the documentation.

For chargeable repairs our technicians will, upon request, examine the product and provide a cost estimate before we repair your product. Please note that a nominal fee may apply if an estimate is requested but is later declined.

It will be clearly indicated on your estimate if your product falls under our fixed price repair scheme otherwise an estimate based on the required labour and spare parts will be provided.

Cost estimates may be accepted or declined by contacting the repair facility to notify them on how you wish them to proceed. Please refer to your cost estimate for contact details.

Once the repair has been completed your product will be dispatched to you. If you have chosen to collect your repaired product from the repair facility you will be notified that the repair has been completed and your product is ready for collection.

Please take the opportunity to contribute to the improvement of our customer service by following the link to our customer repair survey included on your dispatch note. Your opinions are always valued!

NB Canon is committed to protecting your privacy and any personal information supplied by you will be used only for the interaction you had with Canon. Your personal data is held on secure computer and manual files and shall not be processed for any other purposes.

For further details on Canon’s Privacy Policy, please visit the website www.canon.co.uk.

Jennybee your nearest approved repair centre is Glasgow and it's right across the road from Glasgow Central Station ......address below

A.J.Johnstone & Company Limited
Lens, Flash, Analogue Compact Camera, Digital Compact Camera, Analogue SLR Camera, Digital SLR Camera

395-399 Central Chambers
93 Hope Street
Glasgow
G2 6LD

Tel: 0141 221 2106
Fax: 0141 221 9166

Web: http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk

Give them a call in the morning to see what's what ! I have used them once for a sensor clean ....and found them to be ok ...Only thing is the place is up a dingy Tenement close on the 1st or 2nd floor 

cheers Colin