Author Topic: Help enhancing a photo from photo film to be put on canvas  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Help enhancing a photo from photo film to be put on canvas
« on: November 26, 2009, 10:16:27 AM »
Hi everyone

LTNS, hope everyone and their families are well :D

I am after picking the brains of all you great photographers out there, as I am trying to get a special photograph put on canvas for my MIL, its of her daughter who sadly passed away.    

The picture I have is the old style pictures that got developed, its not the best quality in the world, I need to try and doctor it somehow to enhance it and crop it etc, its quite shadowy in places too and I have no clue how to make it look better :huh:

Can anyone help?

Also where is the best place to send it too, to get it transfered onto canvas?

Thanks xxx

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Help enhancing a photo from photo film to be put on canvas
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 04:19:44 PM »
Nice to see you again Emma :D

If you have a good scanner (or know someone with one), often you can improve old photos with the scanner settings and then you can do any other enhancements needed (cropping/removing shadows etc) using photo editing software like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. I've just been scanning in hundreds of Cocker photos for a photgrapher friend and a quick click on the "fade correct" button on my scanner has transformed the older ones - quite amazing really :shades: 

If you didn't fancy doing this yourself, there are companies offering this service (haven't tried them so don't know how much they cost etc) eg http://www.image-restore.co.uk/
Jane

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:51:45 PM »
Sorry can't advise on the enhancing of photgraphs ::)  but i was surprised to find out recently that Tesco's do the Canvas Art at very reasonable prices, i don't know anyone that has used them for this but perhaps someone else will be able to advise on the quality http://www.tescophoto.com/wpp/tesco/   :-\  I picked up a leaflet instore which shows they also do Photo Blocks, Key rings, Fridge Magnets etc, etc...

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 10:43:27 AM »
Nice to see you again Emma :D

If you have a good scanner (or know someone with one), often you can improve old photos with the scanner settings and then you can do any other enhancements needed (cropping/removing shadows etc) using photo editing software like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. I've just been scanning in hundreds of Cocker photos for a photgrapher friend and a quick click on the "fade correct" button on my scanner has transformed the older ones - quite amazing really :shades: 

If you didn't fancy doing this yourself, there are companies offering this service (haven't tried them so don't know how much they cost etc) eg http://www.image-restore.co.uk/

Thanks Jane :D, will have a try with the scanner and see how I get on with that :shades:

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 10:44:06 AM »
Sorry can't advise on the enhancing of photgraphs ::)  but i was surprised to find out recently that Tesco's do the Canvas Art at very reasonable prices, i don't know anyone that has used them for this but perhaps someone else will be able to advise on the quality http://www.tescophoto.com/wpp/tesco/   :-\  I picked up a leaflet instore which shows they also do Photo Blocks, Key rings, Fridge Magnets etc, etc...

Thanks, will take a look at Tesco :D, didn't know they did that kind of thing ;)

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 10:39:42 PM »
sent you a pm