Author Topic: Need a better camera  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
Need a better camera
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:48:47 PM »
Since Grace has been with us. I have found out my camera is not very good.When i take a pic of her she is eather not there or just a tail  >:D so i need to buy a new or second hand one but not sure of what to get. Seen some lovely photos on this sight and would love some of Grace while she is still small.

SLR, Compact. I have no idea  :huh: Just want some nice motion pic's

Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
Re: Need a better camera
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
Budget??
DSLR all the way for me but there are some fantastic compacts out there now too
Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
I bought a Canon 1000d slr camera some months ago and love it :D. I am very much a novice but I have noticed such a big difference with taking action shots than I did with a compact - I still take much more rubbish photos than good though :005:.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 02:11:15 PM »
Budget??
DSLR all the way for me but there are some fantastic compacts out there now too

£300 - £400 i think

Offline J

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »
Canon dslr all day long.

£350 should buy you a 450d with a couple of lenses too. I think the kit lens is an 18-55 5.6, but I have seen Jessops including a 75-300mm too. well worth it in my opinion.
Best thing about the canons is that you can interchange slr lens with dslr (eos only). That means you can really carried away and spend a small fortune without realising :lol2: :lol2:

JennyBee`s got a great dslr too,, THE most user friendly dslr on the market and they give some fantastic results as she has shown on here too.

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 03:15:01 PM »
Canon dslr all day long.

£350 should buy you a 450d with a couple of lenses too. I think the kit lens is an 18-55 5.6, but I have seen Jessops including a 75-300mm too. well worth it in my opinion.
Best thing about the canons is that you can interchange slr lens with dslr (eos only). That means you can really carried away and spend a small fortune without realising :lol2: :lol2:

JennyBee`s got a great dslr too,, THE most user friendly dslr on the market and they give some fantastic results as she has shown on here too.

just looked at 450d on jessops web site starting price £479 one lens with twin lens £629 sounds good but is a bit to much at the mo any more suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 03:26:10 PM »
You could look on eBay for a good second hand Canon 350d SLR.  They are going for about £250.
It is a good time for buying cameras as a lot of people may have had upgrades for Christmas and selling their used (but still good) cameras.  If you get a good 350d SLR for around £250 and play around with it for a bit to get used to it, you should get some good shots of your little one  :005:  as this is an excellent camera just an older model.  When you become more experienced you might like to add another lens (zoom) for about a £100.
Hope this helps.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline J

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 03:28:09 PM »

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1266091431.1262013675@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiadejemdiljdcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=303258&category_oid=

I bought a 75-300 on flea bay for £62 with 12 months warranty.

Also check out this e bay store. I have spent too many £££`s with her and everything has been 100%.
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Merlin-Photographics__W0QQ_armrsZ1

thank you for your help i will be looking for a canon not sure which one yet  :huh:

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 04:57:03 PM »
I've got the Canon 350D and bought a factory reconditioned Rebel (the USA version) it's been a fab camera  ;) picked it up on Ebay a few years ago

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 05:04:18 PM »
I've got the Canon 350D and bought a factory reconditioned Rebel (the USA version) it's been a fab camera  ;) picked it up on Ebay a few years ago
What better recommendation for the Canon D350 than JaspersMum photos. ;)
Look at the "Down Boy" posting  :luv:
They are superb  :luv: :luv:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
I've got the Canon 350D and bought a factory reconditioned Rebel (the USA version) it's been a fab camera  ;) picked it up on Ebay a few years ago
They are superb  :luv: :luv:

A bit more money and I'd be buying a camera like Nicola's  ;) but thank you for the compliment  :D  Quite a few of us have the 350D I think

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 06:19:03 PM »
They are superb  :luv: :luv:

A bit more money and I'd be buying a camera like Nicola's  ;) but thank you for the compliment  :D  Quite a few of us have the 350D I think

Mine is coming down in price now, I've only had it a year but they keep bringing out more new models ::)  I had the 350D beforehand (still keep it as a backup) and it's a great camera, if you can get one in good nick I'd definitely recommend it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »
Glad you started this thread Ian because I'm thinking about the same thing. Niece visited at Christmas & had the Nikon D40X & it looked like a nice piece of equipment (& had lots of knobs/buttons & twiddly bits ..........just to show i know zilch about DSLR's  :005: ) but reading this thread a Canon (poss. 350D) would be a better bet?? Like you Ian, I would like to be able to take pretty decent photos of the doglets & granddaughter (don't want a cheaper one that is really easy to use but would prefer to pay more & have to 'learn' to use it properly. Having said that, I would like to get one, where transferring to PC is fairly straightforward & not too long winded & complicated  :shades:  ..........if there is such a camera?
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
Well the 350 (and probably a good few of the DSLRs) have the choice of using the pre-set programmes (like on a digital compact - sports, portrait, landscape etc) but also manual settings.  To transfer to PC, plug the USB cable in the camera and the pc and the programme allows you to chose to download all or a selection, to the file of your choice......

Really could not be simpler  ;)