Author Topic: upgrading my camera  (Read 3242 times)

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
upgrading my camera
« on: January 10, 2010, 01:24:39 PM »
OK, I'm thinking of selling my camera and getting the next model up. Possibly the 50d?

I'm hoping to enrpoll in some classes so would like to get a really decent camera now. Any recommentdations? Also, I vaguely remeber somone saying that if you go for the higher spec models you have to use the professional lenses. Would my 55-250mm lens be OK with a camera like the canon 50d?

Should I go for an even better model?
So many questions!  :005: :005:

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
Re: upgrading my camera
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:36:19 PM »
OK, just wondering what's how much better is the 350d to what I've got, and how that also compares the 50d? Apart from the price of the holiday!  ph34r

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »
You currently have the 1000D? The next model up from that is the 400D or 450D which are really good cameras, they're going to do everything you want and take pretty much any lens. I have the 50D and tbh to get the best from it I had to get the f/2.8 70-200mm L series lens which was twice the price of the camera body (more than twice at current prices), that and my f/4 24-105mm are pretty much the only lenses I use with it. My older lenses and more basic kit type lenses just aren't fast enough to get decent results from the camera; I was getting better action shots with them on my old 350D body. There's a new 500D too which could be worth looking at.

Just saw your other post, I have a 350D, they don't make them any more so you'd have to buy 2nd hand but it's a really good camera, perhaps a bit dated now compared to the newer 400 series models but it gives good results. If you look at the sticky threads I put at the top of the Photography board for portrait and action shots a fair few of the photos on them were taken with my 350D. If you were going to splurge a bit though I'd probably say go for a 400 or 450D.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »
I just saw on Amazon that they were only selling used 350d >:(

I think I'm going to get the 450d as after looking at the price of just the body of the 50d and doubling that price for the lenses, I would have to wait forever and a day to have any money to afford lessons on how to use the thing!  :005: :005:

Cheers Nicola.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
I've just bought a second hand Canon 400d off eBay for just over £300.  It had extras too (memory cards, extra batteries, filters, remote control) In very good condition and been well looked after.
I was considering buying a new 450d but they retail at just under £500 and don't even include a memory card! :P
The LCD on the 450 is 3 inches compared to the 400s 2 and half inches and there might be a few other differences but not THAT much. :P
The saving I have made I will put towards a good lens.
It depends if you feel happy buying second hand but you can get a bargain :D

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »
Ooh, cheers for that Vixen. I've got a good camera shop near me so I'm going to run some prices past him and see if he can compete!! ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 02:18:51 PM »
I use a 400d and reckon I still have more to learn about it and taking photo's - I'd say learn as much about the camera you have (or the next one up) before embarking on a 50d  ;)

helen & jarvis x

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 02:44:39 PM »
I use a 400d and reckon I still have more to learn about it and taking photo's - I'd say learn as much about the camera you have (or the next one up) before embarking on a 50d  ;)

Judging by the photographs you take, I would love to know as much as you do already ;)
That goes for Harveypops too who has posted some super photographs on here.
Both of you ( and other COLers) have inspired me to get my new camera  :D
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »

Judging by the photographs you take, I would love to know as much as you do already ;)
That goes for Harveypops too who has posted some super photographs on here.
Both of you ( and other COLers) have inspired me to get my new camera  :D

That's a lovely thing to say  :luv:  I hope you enjoy your camera as much as I do mine!  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 03:41:08 PM »
I have the 50D and tbh to get the best from it I had to get the f/2.8 70-200mm L series lens which was twice the price of the camera body (more than twice at current prices), that and my f/4 24-105mm are pretty much the only lenses I use with it. My older lenses and more basic kit type lenses just aren't fast enough to get decent results from the camera; I was getting better action shots with them on my old 350D body. There's a new 500D too which could be worth looking at.

From what you've seen Nic, do you think that the 500D and the older lens would give a good match? Or do you think you'd still need a better lens as well to get the best results  :-\

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 03:48:40 PM »
Jenny - better lens all the way  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »

Might have to wait a while before I upgrade camera body then, or upgrade the lens sometime and leave un-subtle hints about new camera later in year  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 05:17:49 PM »

This is what photography tutor said as well, always spend on lens before camera body especially as the bodies are so often upgraded...

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »
Yep definitely better lens every time. I may well upgrade my 50D at some point in the next year or so but that 70-200mm lens will last me for life (it'll have to :lol2:). A camera really is only as good as the glass you put in front of it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 06:52:40 PM »
You need to have a play around with my 450 with the L lens attached. Harvey, Bayliss and Desmo running around should give you an idea of quick your trigger finger and panning are lol
Caution,  may contain nuts!!!