Author Topic: Auto focal point question  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Auto focal point question
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:14:10 AM »
Can anyone tell me if it's best to switch off the multi-point auto focus setting for action shots on an SLR? i.e is it better to set the camera to a single auto focal point and hope for the best that way, rather than the camera trying to focus on lots of things as well as the moving target???

Thank you!
Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
Re: Auto focal point question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:38:05 PM »
It depends on the light, the lens, the shutter speed and how good your panning skills are.
I tend to go singlepoint but many of my outings with a camera invlove motorcycles and fast corners

Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »
I know lots of people find the multi focus points useful but I always have mine switched to just one as it drives me mad otherwise. I've had advice from a wildlife pro who said for action shots you should light up all the points and use the Servo mode but I think maybe you have to be better at panning than I am coz I've never had much success with it.  :-\

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »
I tend to run just a single point, I often use center, however if I want something 2/3rds in the frame, I will use an off centre one, then either use servo focus to track the dog, or go oneshot and wait till I get the image I want

both have their advantages, best thing to do, is have a play and see what works for you :D

Cheers
Phil

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 02:12:35 AM »
I stick with a single point AF as that way I know where the camera is focussing and gives me consistent, predictable performance.  When people show me poor images from their cameras its frequently because the camera has defaulted to an auto-focus point and simply not focussed on the correct place.  I've experimented with auto-AF points on my cameras but I've found the performance erratic, sometimes the camera will get it right sometimes not which just isn't good enough.

The only time I'd consider using auto-Af points is when there is a single relatively small target with a low contrast backdrop such as a plane in the sky, that way the AF is likely to get it right as only one or two of the AF points is going to be giving a response back which means it can't lock onto the wrong area.

John

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:38 AM »
I use single focal - normally top centre or right or left, I try to avoid centre particularly for action shots as I tended to end up with a body in foucs rather than head...