Author Topic: conjunctivitis **update**  (Read 4698 times)

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
conjunctivitis **update**
« on: February 13, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Zoe has conjunctivitis we were given Fuciderm Gel to use on her eyes but when I read the leaflet inside it said to avoid getting into the eyes.  Does anyone know if this is the right stuff they have given us or not.  I thought the gel would have went into her eyes to help???

any thoughts anyone?? I will try to contact the vets practice tomorrow if they are open.  :-\
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Mybuddies

Re: conjunctivitis
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »

:o  think they have made a mistake there!!!   they have most probably intended to prescribe fucithalmic eye drops which has similarities ie. has fusidic acid as the main antibiotic and is widely prescibed for eye ailments,   the fuciderm is for skin irritations and has some steroid in it,   as suggested in the leaflet I would not put it in the eyes

Offline sazzysue

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:19:12 PM »
I also think they have made a mistake, my dog was given eye drops when he had conjunctivitis not so long ago

Sue & Marlo

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:50:48 PM »
 You can buy and use chloramphenicol eye drops from the pharmacy £5 approx, but do not say its for your dog (need to invent a person ;)) It is for conjunctivitus.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:40:22 PM »
Remember though that you have to make sure there is no scratch on Zoe's lens before you use the chloramphenicol otherwise you can do damage to her eyes (although I am sure the vet checked that already) x x
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »
thanks guys vet shut today but I will phone on monday, have been bathing them with water for now. quite concerned they gave me the wrong stuff  :huh:

[/url]

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »
I think you are right to not use it.  Fucithalmic is what I have used in my girls eyes and only used Fuciderm on my dogs when they had wet excema :-\
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
It should definitely have been Fucithalmic you were given for eyes, Fuciderm can only be used externally, it's like our Sudacrem.

I'm shocked that they made such a serious mistake, and you should have strong words with them tomorrow. What if you hadn't read it and put it in Zoe's eyes, imagine the pain she would have been in, and the damage that could have been done. :-\

What does it say on the label? Has it been the vet who made the mistake, or the nurse who dispensed it?
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »
hi its says use as directed ?????

i will indeed have strong words tomorrow, i was also thinking what if i hadput it in her eyes without looking

will let you guys know what they say, my concern now is zoe is due to be spayed on tuesday and my trust is borderline now :huh:

[/url]

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »
Did they not put a label on it, with Zoe's name and address, plus the name of the medication? They should have, and if they didn't, you should also be questioning that. :-\

It is an easy mistake to make, although it should not have happened, I can understand your concerns, as it could have had serious consequences. Wait until you hear what they have to say before you decide whether to cancel her op or not.

Let us know how it goes when you speak to them. :-*
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 10:46:16 PM »
 :o lucky you read the instructions!! Meg has conjuctivitis and is currently on those eye drops, they have worked wonders for her :luv: she has only been having it for 6 days and it seems to have almost cleared up. xxxxxx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
Hi all

Phoned the vets this morning and they agreed that this was definately not the cream zoe should have got.  They said it was the vet that put it through wrongly  :o  They had a label on the cream with zoe name and "apply twice daily to each eye"

I have to speak to them tomorrow when zoe goes in for her op.  I have been worried about her getting spayed and this has made it even worse

[/url]

Offline xlynnx

• Donator
Re: conjunctivitis **update**
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
An update .....

The vet called me to say that it was definatley the wrong cream but it would not have caused serious harm just some discomfort  >:(

Anyway she is coming to the house tonight to give me the proper ointment.

just soo glad i read the leaflet inside the box and not on the label.  I dont want zoe in "any discomfort"  >:(

[/url]

Offline Little-Miss-Molly

• Inactive
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
I hope the vet was very apologetic  >:D Good job you did read the leaflet and not just the label, I'm sure many people just go by instructions from the vet and whats on the label, it's very worrying  to know they get things wrong like that, maybe it would be wiser to have someone checking medications before being given out after all a pharmacist checks our prescriptions. Hope Zoe is better soon  :luv:

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
Doesn't sound like they were very apologetic, and were trying to make it sound like nothing by saying it could cause discomfort. I would transalate "some discomfort" as very painful. :-\

If I were you, Lynn, I would write a strong letter addressed to the practice manager. That way, they will highlight the mistake to all the staff at the vets, and make sure they are very very careful in future.
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x