Author Topic: Lenses Help?  (Read 4728 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Lenses Help?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
I can't afford an L lens so all mine in the last year have been taken on the 28 - 135mm lens - although not what I would really like I think I manage quite well with it  :D

Helen, is you lens the USM IS model.?

Thinking I might spoil myself for Mothers day  ;)

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »
I can't afford an L lens so all mine in the last year have been taken on the 28 - 135mm lens - although not what I would really like I think I manage quite well with it  :D

yep, it's the one Jean uses a lot too...I do miss the 'zoom' but it is a great all round lens (and does fairly well 'indoors' as well  ;) )

go on, spoil yourself  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:53 PM »

yep, it's the one Jean uses a lot too...I do miss the 'zoom' but it is a great all round lens (and does fairly well 'indoors' as well  ;) )

Can I blame you if I blow the months food bill on a camera lens then, and Meg might have to wait a little while longer for her pin too ;)

The 300mm is great, but its not getting results unless the light is pretty good, and it's useless inside for shows even if a hall is fairly well lit....

Now I just need to find one at the right price before Sunday  :shades:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 09:47:52 PM »

Can I blame you if I blow the months food bill on a camera lens then, and Meg might have to wait a little while longer for her pin too ;)

The 300mm is great, but its not getting results unless the light is pretty good, and it's useless inside for shows even if a hall is fairly well lit....

Happy Mothers Day  :lol2: :bigarmhug: (could Amazon get it to you pronto? )
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »

Happy Mothers Day  :lol2: :bigarmhug: (could Amazon get it to you pronto? )

Looks like mostly Amazon sellers rather than Amazon itself so not convinced it would get here.... most local places seem to have the cheaper CANON EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS Zoom Lens - the  focal length is swaying me, it's got the IS but not sure it's going to be as good  :-\

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 07:51:23 AM »
no Jenny - it won't be any better in lower light than what you already have  :-\  the f3.5 of the 28-135mm  as opposed to f4.5 makes a real difference imo.
helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 08:26:26 AM »
OK thanks, going to go for the IS USM  28 - 135.  Don't think I'm going to get it quick though as looking at prices Jessops quoting £375 and £15 to get it here tomorrow (non in store) but I can get it new through Ebay for £229.95.  Thats too big a difference for the sake of having to wait  >:(

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
OK thanks, going to go for the IS USM  28 - 135.  Don't think I'm going to get it quick though as looking at prices Jessops quoting £375 and £15 to get it here tomorrow (non in store) but I can get it new through Ebay for £229.95.  Thats too big a difference for the sake of having to wait  >:(

Make sure that it is coming from the UK and not outside the EU.  There have been a number of posts on one of the photography forums where posters have had to pay tax to customs to get their orders.  They have also had to pay a charge to the carrier.  That is an excellent price, and I would be a bit concerned that it is too good.  The lowest price I have seen is £303 with Amazon.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 11:44:20 AM »

Make sure that it is coming from the UK and not outside the EU.  There have been a number of posts on one of the photography forums where posters have had to pay tax to customs to get their orders.  They have also had to pay a charge to the carrier.  That is an excellent price, and I would be a bit concerned that it is too good.  The lowest price I have seen is £303 with Amazon.

Thx for the warning.  The seller says in stock in Brighton, guarenteed no extras  :-\  They can't get it for tomorrow anyway so I've got time to look around. The Amazon one is a seller rather than Amazon itself so may not be any more guarentee than the Ebay.  Going to shop around. Just begrudge paying over the odds at Jessops.

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2010, 11:07:18 PM »
Yeah, I've been looking for it on eBay.

With stuff like that, I always make sure its in stock in the UK. Looks like the cheapest (with P&P) on there at the moment comes to £238.00.

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »
Yeah, I've been looking for it on eBay.

With stuff like that, I always make sure its in stock in the UK. Looks like the cheapest (with P&P) on there at the moment comes to £238.00.

The email I had back confirmed it was not the UK model but servicing just the same... My 350D body is the USA Rebel version and has been fine - no regrets and saved a lot.

Helen very generously let me try her lens at Crufts.  I was suprised how heavy it was, much more than my 70 - 300 so still not sure it would be one I'd carry unless definately on a mission to take pics.  Was thinking that I'd save a bit longer and then get the much more expensive f2.8 BUT looks like job is quite likely to go in October and a drop in wage and hours from June.  With Meg trying to qualify Charlie, will have to watch the pennies for a while so looks like the lens plan may be shelved till later in the year if job OK.

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 11:14:39 PM »
OO, thanks for that.

Can I ask, what is the f2.8 one?

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 07:53:29 AM »
OO, thanks for that.

Can I ask, what is the f2.8 one?

I was wondering about this Sigma http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/74238/show.html Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 MkII EX (Canon AF)

The canon ones are priced at over £1000 http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/12886/show.html and the other well over £2000 so that's when I win the lottery  ::)

Sure I've seen them all cheaper elsewhere though - by the time I can look again, there will probably be a whole different range

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 11:54:12 AM »

The canon ones are priced at over £1000 http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/12886/show.html and the other well over £2000 so that's when I win the lottery  ::)

I've got the USM IS version of that lens, I tried both and if you're spending that much it's worth paying the extra for the USM/IS version but if you said before you thought the 28-135 lens was heavy then you need to try this one out because it's huge, especially with the lens hood on, and it weighs a ton. It really is very heavy but my view is that if I (or OH as it was a gift) was going to spend £1500+ on a lens then I need to use it so I've kind of got used to the weight!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/