Author Topic: cannon camera outfit  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
cannon camera outfit
« on: May 03, 2010, 07:34:19 PM »
I am going to buy a 450d cannon camera. Could any one help explain the lenses please.
The package from Jessops comes with a 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lenses.
The package from Curry's  comes with a 18-55mm and a 55-250mm lenses.
This all means nothing to me  :huh: or i could buy the cheaper package with just a 18-55mm lenses
I will be taking pictures of Grace action shots and still shots and family shots. Are these lenses multi purpose ones as you can tell i have only used a cheap pocket camera  :005:
and i forgot to ask what is a IS and USM  :huh:  :huh:

Thank you
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
Re: cannon camera outfit
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 07:51:38 PM »
Hi Ian

Both packages offer a good lens range (as in focal range) - it really is at this point - more your preference. The 18-55mm is a standard kit lens, comes with many cameras - the extra lens gives you a bit more range.

If you're wanting a bit more zoom (As in taking pics of things quite a way away, go for the 75-300mm) the 55-250mm just gives you a little more "wide-angle" than the other (i.e. the space between 55 and 75mm)

As you've not played much with lenses - I'd pop in to Jessops/Curry's and ask to have a play with both lenses, so you can get a feel for them.

The 450d is a nice camera - and no doubt will get you hooked on DSLR models!! (make sure you play with all the settings!)

:D
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline Uli

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:13:21 PM »
Hi Ian,

I purchased a Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm zoom lenses last month and I am absolutely happy with it. But if there had been an offer for a 75-300mm lense I would definitely have taken that one.
No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich! (Louis Sabin)

Offline kirstyb

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:12:40 AM »
Hi Ian

The package from Currys with the 55-250 IS lens is the better package as this lens is better than the 75-300, despite the shorter focal range.

The 75-300mm is an EF lens, whilst the 450D is an EF-S camera with a cropped sensor. This means that the focal length of the EF lens gets multiplied by 1.6, effectively giving you a larger zoom range. However, the 55-250 is an EF-S lens designed specifically for the cropped sensor Canon SLR's.

Another thing to bear in mind is Image Stabilisation (IS) as this can help reduce camera shake on handheld shots, especially at longer range. The 75-300 does not have IS, whereas the 55-250 does. I think the kit lens now has IS, but the original 300D and 350D didn't have IS kit lenses.

OH has a not IS zoom lens and is now looking for a 28-135mm or 55-250 IS replacement as he struggles to get decent pictures at the top end of the lens.

Have a look at the prices of the lenses on their own to see if the package being offered is good value, and look at other online retailers, not just the high street names you recognise.

Good luck.
Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:27:19 AM »
I have the 450D with the 18-55 mm and am planning to get another lens, so this is really useful info, thanks! I got mine from:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/digital-slr-cameras/b3065 and they gave an excellent service, if you want to compare an online deal.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:39:36 AM »
A nice tripod of ebay will not go a miss( one not to big and not to small that you can carry around with you also) There are some good bargains to be had of ebay like a 430 EX flashgun for under a 100 pounds that will flash of as quick as you take pitchers with your camera...Any way have fun with your new camera...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 10:19:59 AM »
I have bought the canon 450d with a 18 - 55mm lens having fun playing with it  :banana: will post some pics soon

now i need a zoom lens which one should i get ??????????????????????? any help appreciated

Thank you

Offline SimonandMandy

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 01:04:54 PM »
I use the canon 70-300mm which is great for photographing dogs but you can get as good for cheaper...

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
    • www.PhilLawrencePhoto.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 04:38:48 PM »
there are many choices of lens' but heres some info on the two you have mentioned

Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 USM III   £236.24
good lens, will allow you to take pics from a good distance away, has a USM focusing motor (focuses faster and quieter, great for moving targets)

Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM   £398.99
the bigger brother of the 75-300 as it has Image stabiliser too but your paying a lot for it

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS   £169.99
again a good lens, has image stabiliser which helps with camera shake and getting a good pic, it wont make a dog sit still, but at least the background wont be blured ;), does not have a usm focusing motor, so its the same as your kit lens as far as focusing speed/noise goes

all the lenses have the same aperture sizes so theres nothing to choose between them there (smaller the aperture number eg 2.8 instead of 5.6, means it lets in more light and allows you to use a faster shutter speed (again helps to reduce blur) also means the depth of field is shorter, so you can blur the background softly and still have the item your focusing nice and sharp)

it all depends what you want to do with your camera, what type of pics you want to take, as there are different lenses for different jobs, you could get something like the 70-200 F2.8 IS, but thats about 1600 quid

if money is tight, the 55-250 is a good lens with good reviews, the IS is handy at the longer end of the lens (zoomed in) as it helps steady your shot, I dont think the 75-300 is worth £60 extra unless you dont need the IS, and need it to focus faster, if you have more money in your budget, let me know what you wnat to take pics of and I will see whats out there for you that fits your needs

Phil

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 06:55:24 PM »
Not wishing to confuse everyone but there is something else to consider

Because a EF-S sensor (as used in the 450D) is allot smaller than the image circle produced by a non EF-S lens, and the bulk of the lens distortions are towards the edges of the image circle, if you use an EF lens on a 450D the lens will appear to be of much higher quality because the smaller sensor will not see the lens distortions.

Even if you use the highest quality EF-S lens on a 450D you will get all the lens distortions.

The 28-135 IS lens is a cracking non 'L' walkabout lens and will produce excellent results on a 450D you should be able to pick one up secondhand on ebay for about £150-£175

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 09:07:55 PM »
Hi

The 28-135 is a cracking lens agreed, and gives you a good walkabout lens, it will mean however you wont be able to take as such wide angle shots as your current one, nor will it give you a large zoom compared to the other lenses listed, if you choose only to take the one lens, it is however a very good lens

what sort of things do you want to do with the lens, what pictures do you want to take ... as that at the end of the day will help you decide what lens to get

Cheers
Phil

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 10:20:22 PM »

what sort of things do you want to do with the lens, what pictures do you want to take ... as that at the end of the day will help you decide what lens to get

I would like to take a few pictures of birds plus the dogs when walking in the field. I go to Wales a lot so would like to use it when walking again of views and general stuff. I have a budget of around £500  Thanks

Offline Philtrum

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 08:02:55 AM »
Hi, thanks for the info, it helps everyone when advising, are you wanting to take one lens that will do everything (to a degree) or are you happy to take a couple of lenses (one on camera and one in a bag) and swap them onto the camera as you need them ?

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 08:53:44 AM »
Hi, thanks for the info, it helps everyone when advising, are you wanting to take one lens that will do everything (to a degree) or are you happy to take a couple of lenses (one on camera and one in a bag) and swap them onto the camera as you need them ?

Happy to have a couple of lenses and another one that will do everything (to a degree) I know my budget wont stretch that far at the moment.but at least i will know what to look out for                   
 Thanks