Author Topic: Training to work with the camera better  (Read 1569 times)

Offline JohnMcL7

Training to work with the camera better
« on: May 19, 2010, 02:35:52 AM »
I'm looking for some tips on training my cocker to work better with the camera, my previous dog Jake seemed to pick up the knack for the camera himself - he knew to sit still and pose until he heard the shutter release at which point he would look at me to see if he was done and if not keep sitting until I signalled him he could go.  He would then come racing over to me with the tail wagging feeling quite pleased with himself.

Alfie who's the new boy is approaching eight months old and so far is not bad with his training, he knows his name and a few other words (walkies, treatball etc.), he will sit, give paws, lie down and occasionally roll over.  However I've made little progress with him and the camera, initially he was very aware of even the quieter focal plane shutter on the mirrorless cameras but over time he seems to have learnt to just ignore the shutter noise and the camera itself.  Rewarding him with treats is not really working because it seems to be encouraging him to come over to me when I step back to line up the camera.

Before anyone says it I realise it's not fair to expect a little pup to be as skilled as an adult dog in this regard but I would like to try and improve his camera posing skills so any pointers would be welcome.  I never did anything with Jake get him to work with the camera and people were surprised at how good he was with it but he was five by the time I bought my first camera and a few years old by the time he was a 'pro' and I was working with SLRs.

Thanks,
John

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
Re: Training to work with the camera better
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »
Hiya

I really do think it varies with dogs - I've seen many instances (and this might sound ridiculous!!) of dogs being camera shy! But it's true! Some even appear to hide from a camera...it might be that your Alfie would be better photographed "in action" as opposed to sitting and posing for a portrait? Then he doesn't have to focus (s'cuse the pun) on being still.

If he keeps breaking pose - and running to you - maybe try more training with sit/stay - but this won't guarantee he'll look at the camera for a full shot unless you specifically train him to not move any part of his body!

Maybe try a photoshoot after you've taken him out for a nice walk - so he's a little tired and less of a wriggly bum?
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:00:26 AM »
I have the opposite problem - its difficult to take a profile shot of my dog as as soon as he see's the camera he looks straight down the lens  ::) 

He did a couple of 'pro' modelling jobs when he was a pup, and we trained him to do what he had to by clicker training with him straight in front of us, then gradually moved away and threw the treats in front of him so he didn't move to me.  He has always had a good basic commands - sit/stay/down/stand so that really helped  We then gradually lengthened the time of the down/head on paws/sit/stand (whatever it was) so we could get steadiness - we also have a good 'look at me' command which works well at a distance.  It didn't take long for him to stay still for the shutter and get his praise and treat.

He completely associates the camera with treats and he really works it  :lol2:

you could start by doing the sit/down/stay/stand commands and get them solid - I would practice in the garden with the camera around your neck but not doing anything with it, and then move on slowly to pretending to take a pic and rewarding when he's steady and then to taking the pics.  I'm sure you can do it  :D

otherwise, get a trusty assistant - it's much easier having someone else work the dog while you take the pics (as long as they aren't as irritating as my other half who just doesn't 'get' composition and light  :lol2:)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
Of my 3 I have one utter poser who adores having his photo taken (which is just as well :lol2:), one who hates having a camera pointed at her and one who has learned to put up with enjoy it. Some of them are more natural in front of the camera than others but same as Helen I've found that good solid basic commands are the key and then you can work on the steadiness - imo an absolutely rock solid stay command is essential so that they'll stay put no matter what stone wall or fallen tree I've put them on and even when I'm moving around, fiddling with the camera and lying down in front of them; a 'look at me' command and solid position commands - sit, lie down, stand - and I also teach them 'head down' so I can get them to put their head on their paws. I'd forget actually taking photos to begin with and work on getting your dog to stay in position reliably no matter what you're doing and looking at you when you ask them to and then you can start to introduce the camera.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JohnMcL7

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »
Thanks for all the prompt and helpful responses, I think you're all correct in that I need to take a step back from using the camera and just work on basic sit/stay skills to build him up to stay better for the camera.

John