Author Topic: photographers advice & opinion request! ;)  (Read 1826 times)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
photographers advice & opinion request! ;)
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
Had a day out with the family & got some photos that I'm really happy with - this one in particular & although I've changed it to B/W I've not cropped or altered it at all - opinions & critiques welcome  ;)          (go gently though  :005: )

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss173/ladylou_p/erinatthepaddlingpool067.jpg

the areas I could do with help an advice though, is with movement -
sometimes I seem to get it
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss173/ladylou_p/erinatthepaddlingpool166.jpg
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss173/ladylou_p/erinatthepaddlingpool114.jpg
and other times I don't
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss173/ladylou_p/erinatthepaddlingpool136.jpg
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss173/ladylou_p/erinatthepaddlingpool015.jpg

I have the Panasonic Lumix FZ 38 - am I asking too much from the camera or with practice & correct use, will I be able to get the pictures I'm after (or will I have to wait until I get a DSLR  :-\  )

any help/advice/tips would be very welcome  ;)  :-*
   Lindsey x
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: photographers advice & opinion request! ;)
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
No critique from me other than to say I love the B&W pic - thats gorgeous! And the swan shot!
Will be watching this space with interest for comments from those in the know for hints and tips for myself  :005:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:15:24 AM »
here's what I think...

I think the b&w one is beautifully composed but looks slightly washed out - could do with levels being fiddled with a bit to give it more depth and oomph  ;)

re movement - you've achieved that with the swan imho - the wings being slightly blurred give the feeling of movement whereas the 'frozen' droplets in the first 2 give an impression of a static image.  I'm guessing that you want the style of the first couple of photos?  Were you on automatic settings when you took the pic?

(ps can you email me the first b&w one and the one of Eryn running into the fountain with her back to you?  will see if I can do anything with them  ;) )
helen & jarvis x

Offline seaangler

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:53:46 AM »
My honest opinion is they are worthy to go into any competition...I could not do better my self...Its how you feel when taking the picture to its out come...Keep on experimenting with your camera....Your camera has loads of options to be able to do almost any thing with it....
My wife took over three thousand pictures up in Scotland with her two cameras one being  Like yours ..By the time she sorted them all out she ended up with just a hundred or so that she like...Thats the beauty of deleting what you do not like....

As Helen says weer you on Auto when you took the picture!!!! Its a all new ball game when you come of A/F if your camera will do it....The next time you take a close up go on macro with your camera...

Everyone has there own opinion as to witch picture they like and i like the color one as to the B/W one....Thats my own opinion.....Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:51 PM »
thankyou Helen & Chris   :-*   

yes, I had the camera on 'iA' (intelligent auto) I do tend to stick with that setting as it's still the safe option (& yes as you say Chris, it's a whole new ball game when you choose the manual settings  :fear2: - more practice needed! )

Helen, you hit the nail on the head - it is a bit washed out  ;)  I like it very much because it is a very special tender moment between the two & I wanted to catch it & I did .... doesn't always go to plan like that but I was so chuffed - I like it better in black & white but then it lost a certain something & you saw it straight away - thankyou (will PM you about  emailing them to you  ;) :-*  )
The pic of the swan is nice (they do that wing flapping so quickly - you don't realise until you try to catch it on camera  >:D  ) but I wondered why I caught the water droplets 'frozen' in time but the wing was blurred - I guess i know the answer really & that my pics are still more luck than skill & more practice & trying other settings might help.

(Chris I think the B/W has the winning edge for me because it doesn't show how messy Erin got eating her lolly  :005:  )

(Lisa, maybe we should find a camera club to join  :005: & thankyou too!! )

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 11:25:56 PM »
Can't add to what's said other than they are lovely

(Lisa, maybe we should find a camera club to join  :005: & thankyou too!! )

Why don't you, thats where I met the OH many moons ago.  ;)  There were not many women there then though and I doubt that's changed a lot.   :005:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie