Author Topic: Fixed lens or Zoom  (Read 1734 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Fixed lens or Zoom
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
I toyed with getting a better lens back in March but decided I couldn't warrant the cost and that I would have to compromise too much on what I would like to what I could afford at short notice.

My trusty 75 -300 has since jumped off the kitchen table and although I am having it repaired, I would like to look at upgrading my kit... (doesn't warrant an insurance claim though), then someone was taking pictures at the club show and his serious bit of kit got me thinking again...

soooo, I know what I'd like but since spending £1000s of pounds is not on the cards, I like the 70 -200 USM f2.8 Canon,  however I can get a Sigma or Tamron equivalent cheaper.  The lens reviews are not as good but many of the negatives are real nit picking and comparing to the super duper IS models so there is always going to be compromise  :-\

The 200mm f2.8 fixed lens is smaller and lighter but am I going to miss the flexibility   :-\ I seriously going to be sorry giving up the 300mm lens going to a max of 200mm  :dunno: At some point I might change from the 350D body and thinking about the 50D but that's a little way off.... It is important that the lens must achieve good movement shots in low light such as indoor shows (hence the f2.8 )

Any input on what kit you have/what works well for you?  It's got to be Canon.  I am absolutley no further forward on what to get after weeks of thinking about it and in part thats because I'm stressing over not having my old lens for over a month that's it's been in for repair and I'm missing my favorite time of year and some lovely weather for pictures.

HELP!

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Fixed lens or Zoom
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »
I use the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS lens almost all the time now, prior to that I always used a 300mm zoom and I can honestly say I never regret - or even really notice - the loss of the extra length, the quality of the photos from the 70-200 more than makes up for it. For your purpose if you're going to spend a bit of money I would try to keep the flexibility of a zoom, I'd pick the 70-200 over the fixed 200mm.

All the photos on this thread http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=77232.0 and Tilly's birthday thread were taken with the 70-200 and I don't think they suffer for the shorter focal length iykwim, it's generally more than adequate if you want to keep the quality.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:06:23 PM »
Next question, do I save some money buying tamron or sigma or pay the extra to stick with canon?

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:18:33 PM »
i was given an old Sigma 70-200mm and it is a heavy old thing - I do like it, except that as it's the old version I can't use it on anything else but f2.8 on AV (of course the new ones are fine  ;) )  I do really like the colour and bokeh on it, but if I had the money I would spend it on the f2.8 Canon 70-200, but the IS version (even more expensive).   

I have the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM and to be frank I'm really disappointed (in my capabilities really)

helen & jarvis x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:04:14 PM »
but if I had the money I would spend it on the f2.8 Canon 70-200, but the IS version (even more expensive).   

Me too, but that is a step too far on the budget  :'(  The lottery gods have not been kind!!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 11:15:53 PM »
Do you have a photography shop near you that would let you try out the non-L/IS Canon lens and the Sigma and Tamron versions? There's a Jessops Camera World centre in Edinburgh which carries every lens under the sun and they're happy to let you try them out, there might be one near you?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »
Do you have a photography shop near you that would let you try out the non-L/IS Canon lens and the Sigma and Tamron versions? There's a Jessops Camera World centre in Edinburgh which carries every lens under the sun and they're happy to let you try them out, there might be one near you?

None of our local Jessops carry many cameras  ::) The one in town boasts an alarming number of youths working there who glaze over if you ask ask them even the most basic question about a camera unless it's "I can see what I want, here is my payment"   :shades:  In fact, there seem to be very few proper camera shops about anywhere when I googled  >:(

I've read quite a few reviews, some make a lens sound like the devil incarnate, the next makes it out to be something fantastic!  Will cast the net a little wider to find a store that might stock them all so I can see in the flesh.  There is a significant difference in price, not sure how much is reflected in a loss in build quality.