Author Topic: Rawhide chews etc  (Read 6496 times)

Offline mooching

Re: Rawhide chews etc
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
These are similar Manda & all of my 4 absolutely love them  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/beef/sticks/13412
You need to order them quite quickly because they are forever going out of stock.  I have just ordered some for mine after waiting nearly 2 weeks for them to come back in stock  ::)  They are fine for puppies too.  :D

Wendy, based on your recommendation I ordered some from zooplus (along with some Arden Grange and some toys, so that I'd get free postage!) and they arrived today. They look great, and Alfie's had one already!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 03:59:34 PM »
These are similar Manda & all of my 4 absolutely love them  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/beef/sticks/13412
You need to order them quite quickly because they are forever going out of stock.  I have just ordered some for mine after waiting nearly 2 weeks for them to come back in stock  ::)  They are fine for puppies too.  :D

Wendy, based your recommendation I ordered some from zooplus (along with some Arden Grange and some toys, so that I'd get free postage!) and they arrived today. They look great, and Alfie's had one already!

Pleased the handsome Alfie likes them too.  :D  Jo Jo especially will wait & forgo any other treat to wait for one of them.  :shades: ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
I've always given rawhide chews to my dogs of various breeds, including pups and never had any problems  :dunno:

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2010, 06:38:49 PM »
Just out of interest, is there any evidence that chews made from cat/dog hide are being sold in the UK? Where is this information coming from? I would have thought using cow hide would be much more cost effective then the hide of a small animal, so it seems a really odd that people would do this  :huh: I suspect some urban mythology at work. 

Offline mooching

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
Just out of interest, is there any evidence that chews made from cat/dog hide are being sold in the UK? Where is this information coming from? I would have thought using cow hide would be much more cost effective then the hide of a small animal, so it seems a really odd that people would do this  :huh: I suspect some urban mythology at work. 

My understanding is that the chews are not exclusively made from cat/dog hide, but a number of different types of hide are processed and mixed in together.

From this American article: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1803254/rawhide_treats_may_be_deadly_to_your.html?cat=53

Rawhide treats are made from dried out animal hide, bones, ears, tails & hooves and come from cows, pigs, lambs and horses. In some countries such as China and Thailand, where their slaughter is not illegal, dog and cat parts are used in the treats intended for the same pets and sold to the United States. Parts are obtained from slaughterhouses then processed and treated usually by soaking the animal parts in lye or lime, deadly chemicals used to make soap, drain opener and other caustic chemical cleaners.

To remove the solution, the animal parts are then bleached - yet another harmful chemical in the product. In some countries, arsenic is used in the treatment process. The rawhide is then formed into a shape that will attract the consumer (and that's you, the one with the wallet) such as a bone, ball or stick. Some rawhide treats have flavors added.

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »
Thanks for that, Sarah (Antos make Cerea! http://www.antosuk.com/ )

I used to buy these from our vet whenever we went in but have since found them in Tesco & Asda (own brand) for far less than the Antos ones cost.  Unfortunately they only do the green ones and in the toothbrush shape but the ingredient list is identical to the one that Antos sent me in an email.  Mason has 2 or 3 of these a week and he loves them.

The Tesco ones are called Healthy Treat Dentabrushes and at Asda Hero Toothbrush Chews.

I have always avoided the raw hide chews for the reason already discussed.
Elaine & Mason X

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:07 PM »
Thanks for that, Sarah (Antos make Cerea! http://www.antosuk.com/ )

I used to buy these from our vet whenever we went in but have since found them in Tesco & Asda (own brand) for far less than the Antos ones cost.  Unfortunately they only do the green ones and in the toothbrush shape but the ingredient list is identical to the one that Antos sent me in an email.  Mason has 2 or 3 of these a week and he loves them.

The Tesco ones are called Healthy Treat Dentabrushes and at Asda Hero Toothbrush Chews.

I have always avoided the raw hide chews for the reason already discussed.

Fantastic news for me, it is so difficult to get hold of Antos chews down here, but I live near asda, so will look for these now  :lol:

Offline mooching

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2010, 12:05:14 AM »
I've always given rawhide chews to my dogs of various breeds, including pups and never had any problems  :dunno:

Same here, but now that I know what I know, I am not willing to take the chance again. Even if the risk of a problem is small, I'd rather play safe and avoid it. If I gave my dog a rawhide chew and he got a blockage, I'd never forgive myself. To me, it's definitely better safe than sorry.

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2010, 10:11:34 PM »
Penny has the croccodile ones she prefers the green ones  and they are Loiss  favourites She had some thin strips of rawhide when she was a puppy but just hid them
Penny Black Jennys niece