Author Topic: Light reflection?  (Read 2061 times)

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
Light reflection?
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:26:18 PM »
Most times when I take indoor photos, I seem to get the light reflecting in the dogs' eyes so they look like they are janundiced  ph34r Well that's what I think it is  :huh:

I have a Fujifilm Finepix S8000fd  Any suggestions as to how I can overcome this would be appreciated.

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline JohnMcL7

Re: Light reflection?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
I'm not really sure if there is much you can do, I've had a quick look at the camera but it doesn't support an external flash so that's not an option.  Normally to avoid this I use a dedicated flash and bounce it upwards but with an onboard flash you can't do anything like that.  The only option I can think of is to try using some sort of diffuser over the flash to soften the light, along the lines of these:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=pop+flash+diffuser&_sacat=0&_dmpt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&_odkw=pop+flash+diffuser&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I've never tried one myself but as they're cheap it may be worth a go.

John

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:40:15 PM »
Hi John,

Many thanks for your reply. I have been looking for a diffuser as you suggested, the problem is my camera flash is fixed and there is no hot shoe to attach a diffueser onto  :-\ There were 1 or 2 that may fit with a bit of modification so they may be worth trying  :D

I guess I'll just have to hope I have been so very good this year that Santa will bring me a lovely new camera for Christmas  :005:

Murron

Offline islander

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 06:37:24 PM »
A real quick cheapie way here maybe to cut a strip of kitchen roll and stick over the flash, if possible... cheap and cheerful and works as a great diffuser.  :005:

I've used all sorts in my mad quests to diffuse flash over the years doing macro work, mutilated coke cans with duct/gaffer tape and loads of kitchen roll, it's amazing what you can do when the need arises  ;)

Alan

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 07:46:11 PM »
A real quick cheapie way here maybe to cut a strip of kitchen roll and stick over the flash, if possible... cheap and cheerful and works as a great diffuser.  :005:

I've used all sorts in my mad quests to diffuse flash over the years doing macro work, mutilated coke cans with duct/gaffer tape and loads of kitchen roll, it's amazing what you can do when the need arises  ;)

Alan

Brilliant Alan, I will give it a go  :D

Murron

Offline Ollie

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
Great suggestion Alan. Try some really cheap masking tape. Must be really thin though.

Good Luck