Author Topic: Feeding on a very tight budget  (Read 9029 times)

Offline cath0104

Re: Feeding on a very tight budget
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 10:23:57 AM »
why not try changing the wet food to a tiny bit of chappie dog meat mixed in , it must be cheaper than the wainwrights and wont do them any harm if you are on a tight budget it will be as cheap as buying gravy etc and chappie is supposed to be kind on their tummys

Thanks I have never been sure of the tinned 'supermarket' foods knowing that Bakers & Pedigree isn't good, but will give Chappie a go.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 10:38:34 AM »
Yep a few Col dogs are on Chappie as recommended by their vets as they have sensitive tums or other complaints, not that Vets are food experts but I think this is an exception, Butchers tinned Tripe mix is another good one not sure how that compares in price to the others ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
why not try changing the wet food to a tiny bit of chappie dog meat mixed in , it must be cheaper than the wainwrights and wont do them any harm if you are on a tight budget it will be as cheap as buying gravy etc and chappie is supposed to be kind on their tummys

Thanks I have never been sure of the tinned 'supermarket' foods knowing that Bakers & Pedigree isn't good, but will give Chappie a go.
when my old boy Bruno was ill the vet said to try him on chappie and he was good on it , i mixed it with his kibble and he loved it and it didnt upset him at all , well worth a go and you wont need much for them to get the smell of it in with their kibble
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2011, 03:39:42 PM »
We buy Lathams from tesco but it's kibble it's quite cheap tho they have offers on it lots too a few weeks ago the big bags were half price £10 a bag unfortunately we couldn't afford to get one when the offer was on. I think I read on here somewhere someone mixes a tablespoonful of olive oil in with kibble to moisten in.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
I don't know what kibble you feed but I generally feed my 2 on Gelerts premium which is much cheaper than a lot of the premium brands and is good enough quality for me ;) BUT when my stockist run out which happens fairly regulary >:( I buy Harringtons from Morrisons at the moment its £2.00 a bag (has been for about 4 weeks now) its mch better quality than other brands at that price point see here
http://www.viovet.co.uk/Pet_Foods_Diets-Dogs-Harringtons/c233_234_2636/category.html
Just to give you an idea what its about. My 2 thrive on it when they have it. So def worth a try if you have a Morrisons near you ;)
I always keep the meat juices to pour over their kibble and I buy the value Chicken wings and Mince for them.

Yes it is still on offer at Morrisons near us (Harrington's that is) and both mine are doing fine on it. Don't know how long it will last at that price but hope it carries on for a while yet  ;) . (usually it is £3.78 at the local pet shop!! :huh: )
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 06:51:40 PM »
I don't know what kibble you feed but I generally feed my 2 on Gelerts premium which is much cheaper than a lot of the premium brands and is good enough quality for me ;) BUT when my stockist run out which happens fairly regulary >:( I buy Harringtons from Morrisons at the moment its £2.00 a bag (has been for about 4 weeks now) its mch better quality than other brands at that price point see here
http://www.viovet.co.uk/Pet_Foods_Diets-Dogs-Harringtons/c233_234_2636/category.html
Just to give you an idea what its about. My 2 thrive on it when they have it. So def worth a try if you have a Morrisons near you ;)
I always keep the meat juices to pour over their kibble and I buy the value Chicken wings and Mince for them.

Yes it is still on offer at Morrisons near us (Harrington's that is) and both mine are doing fine on it. Don't know how long it will last at that price but hope it carries on for a while yet  ;) . (usually it is £3.78 at the local pet shop!! :huh: )
Since they have stocked it it has never been more than £2.99, I think its incredible value for a pretty high quality kibble ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 10:10:51 PM »

Since they have stocked it it has never been more than £2.99, I think its incredible value for a pretty high quality kibble ;)

It is indeed  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
When Milly went through a fussy eating stage we put some of her kibble, a small amount of tinned food and a sardine in oil (4 to a tin) into a blender and gave it a blitz. Add more or less kibble to get a thick consistency.
A couple of scoops into her dish and it was gone in seconds.

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
I went to get some fish for Penny Sainsburys had their own bargain pollark and it was £1.70 for about five pieces they also had a piece of plaice on offer so I got that as it  would slip down better.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline Tiz

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »
Have always fed Tuppence on Butchers Tripe mix which is on offer at Makro (well down here in Devon it is)  from Wednesday @ £6.99 for 24 x 400g tins + VAT, which works out @ 35p/tin.   

Offline seaangler

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »

We also put a tiny bit of tin food mixed with there dry food...

Pedigree food is very good it not like your cheap Butchers stuff any more...(After there television advertising they have to conform to the trading standards act)...Ware all there meat and offal comes from...And its traceabilety....As they say its on the can.....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline seaangler

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 09:29:20 AM »
Why not do the same as they do with the pack dogs...Fox hounds/ beagles/ deer hounds otter hounds...also grayhounds...Sheep heads/And offal boiled up ....Must be high in value other wise the hounds would not last as long as they do when running....

After feeding time there is NEVER a morsal left over...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Tiz

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 09:52:03 AM »
Having sat on the sidelines reading the forum over the last few months, too nervous to offer any suggestions or comments, for fear of getting shot down, I felt that as Cath0104 had asked for advice on feeding on a budget, (and somebody had already mentioned Butchers) Butchers was a good option whilst on offer at half price.  For the records it is a very similar price to Pedigree at Sainsburys.  So no,  I don't feed my dog "cheap doog food" and I certainly will think twice before contributing to the forum again. 

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 09:57:09 AM »

We also put a tiny bit of tin food mixed with there dry food...

Pedigree food is very good it not like your cheap Butchers stuff any more...(After there television advertising they have to conform to the trading standards act)...Ware all there meat and offal comes from...And its traceabilety....As they say its on the can.....

I would far rather give butchers than pedigree - pedigree may have better marketing, but it doesn't make it a better product...  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
Having sat on the sidelines reading the forum over the last few months, too nervous to offer any suggestions or comments, for fear of getting shot down, I felt that as Cath0104 had asked for advice on feeding on a budget, (and somebody had already mentioned Butchers) Butchers was a good option whilst on offer at half price.  For the records it is a very similar price to Pedigree at Sainsburys.  So no,  I don't feed my dog "cheap doog food" and I certainly will think twice before contributing to the forum again. 
Please don't be offended by seaanglers posts they sometimes come accross in a way they are not intended, you will get used to his style of posting ;)
I stated earlier that Butchers tripe mix was a good product, my 2 love it on the rare occasion they get wet food, as they are mostly kibble and raw meat fed. Butchers is not one of the poorer quality brands of tinned and I personally would choose it over Pedigree anyday ;) You have made a valuable contribution please don't leave we really are a friendly bunch .. honest ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty