Author Topic: Feeding on a very tight budget  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Feeding on a very tight budget
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
Hi

Only just realised that there were more replies to this thread.  With regards raw, they have the occassional bone/chicken wing as a treat and although they love it, there bums are usually awful after, and i really would prefer not to go down this route (sorry)

We have been reasonably succesful recently, with kibble mixed with a variety of things, be it, left overs from our meal, a touch of fish tuna or sardines and Chappie  BUT i have fallen into the trap of Molly now being fussy.  For example she was happily having yogurt or egg on some meals and now she won't touch it, and likewise with the Chappie, so i think i am going to stick with making up a chicken stock as it has always gone down well

I can understand you not wanting to give your dogs raw if it upsets their tums but just wanted to check that you were leaving a gap between different types of food? You have to make sure there is a gap between raw and any cooked or processed foods (think it's 4 hours  :-\) or it can give them an upset tummy. I think it's to do with digesting things at different rates. Sorry if you already knew that   ;).

Millie gets the runs on many different dry foods and typically it's the more expensive ones she does well on  >:(. I try give so many meals with a cheaper alternative to keep the cost down so I'll give her Chapie, sardines and a weetabix, scrambled egg and a weetabix or a couple of chicken wings. I am lucky though that she is a gannet and scoffs everything  :lol2:

Millie

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2011, 07:35:29 PM »
I tried the girls on sheep hearts the other day. My friend had bought them at a butchers in North Berwick 6 for £5.00.

Poppy and Lucy would have eaten the lot at one meal  :lol2: so that didn't work.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »
I buy lambs hearts for the boys for 50p a heart, they have one heart each for a meal  ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »
We buy Ox hearts in Makro, around £2 or just over and they are absolutely massive, I dice them up and freeze it in portion sized amounts, just defrost when needed.