Author Topic: Toby seems so hungry poor thing  (Read 470 times)

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
Toby seems so hungry poor thing
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:11:57 PM »
Ok we have decided that after the vet said recently "mmmm he is a big dog" that we are going to go raw. Have got some PAH frozen raw for now until can get organised and order online.

Read alot and for last 4 days he is having 2.5% of desired body weight = 350g of food. So we dont go cold turkey this is a combination of PAH food and Chappie.

But poor Tobes seems so hungry  - or is he thinking "cor that food is awesssommme give me more".

He has had his tea tonight and straight after was crying and sniffing the air in quite a frantic way.

He has settled now.

S

Offline dizzytrish

• Donator
Re: Toby seems so hungry poor thing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:05:22 PM »
not sure if this will help, but when I swapped mine over, the amount looked tiny to what they had before!, and then the spangle eyes come out begging, but now, after I leave the kitchen and they know that is it, they all go their seperate ways and sleep or play.

you have to ignore 'the look!'  :005:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »
With the raw/Chappie regime at the moment are you feeding him 175g of raw and 175g Chappie? If so, does that mean his Chappie portion is less than half his previous daily ration of Chappie? I think half and half should be 175g raw as one meal + 50% of his former daily ration of Chappie as one meal. Hope that makes sense :D

William and Louis were on Burns before changing to raw and William in particular became a much more enthusiastic eater, downright greedy in fact :005:, when I made the change. I think that's just because he really loves his raw diet, so I expect it's the same for Toby. My friend's Golden retriever has been on Burns in the morning and raw in the evening for a while. She used to love her Burns but now she almost turns her nose up at it but gets really excited when the raw food appears.

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 02:20:03 PM »
Thank you for the replies. Yes I have been doing 175g of Chappie & 175g of raw and wondered if the raw was "more easily digestable" so not filling him up so his tum is thinking he is only having 175g of Chappie!

Going to increase ratio as only 1 tin of chappie left and Toby is loving this fresh stuff !!

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:36:19 PM »
I think it changes over their lifetime.  The vet told me to stick to dry food when Jessie was a puppy but she would go hungry for 2 days before giving in and eating something.  Adding a sardine from a tin meant the whole lot went quickly.

Due to a skin problem I switched to Burns a couple of years ago - it helped with that and as she became older she was more willing to eat anything - the vet felt dry food was best to stop dental plaque - but I am not sure I would like to eat dry biscuits every day just to avoid the dentist.  (On the other hand that is an idea!)

But she always liked 'real' food best - but if she had something particularly nice she would eat it - then go in her bed and start aggressively barking at us, eyes open wide, until I could distract her by tipping her off her cushion, when she would return to normal.  I never quite understood what that was about - perhaps she thought I was going to steal it from her tummy!

Dogs have their preferences too and I don't think there is anything wrong in meeting them so long as it is a balanced diet and doesn't cause you too much trouble.