Author Topic: Undescended testicle removal  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
Undescended testicle removal
« on: August 11, 2023, 03:32:59 PM »
Hello, It's been a while since I've been here. I was looking for some advice regarding my Dog with an undescended testicle and if any of you have have had theirs removed and left the other one in situ?

Milo is 4.5yrs and we have discussed this at length with our vet who has given us 2 options. 1) remove everything 2) Leave healthy one as is and remove the undescended one. We have zero ambitions of showing (he wouldn't make the cut anyway) and absolutely Zero interest in breeding.... ever!

My reason for asking is because Milo has the most wonderful colouring and coat we are regularly complimented and his groomer absolutely loves him and his coat. I have him hand stripped and we are one of only a couple of cockers locally who keep our dogs like this, so much so that the grooming school sometimes use him as a model for their students. I know that full neutering can affect the coat and make it thicker/woolier so I was wondering if anyone has a dog with just the one testicle and if they have noticed any changes to their coat?

I would also like to know if anyone has taken on a slightly older dog around Milo's age and fully neutered later on and whether they too have noticed any changes in their coat?

Many Thanks, Claire
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Undescended testicle removal
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 09:34:08 PM »
Hi, Humphrey was castrated at approximately the same age, he had an undescended testicle which the vet couldn’t detect with a scan (we‘d hoped a regular control would be able to determine if there was any change in size etc, but that wasn’t possible). I was really undecided what to do and was worried it might become cancerous and decided to have it removed. We were also given the option of removal of just the one testicle or a full castration and I chose the latter and really regret it.
Humphrey is a gold sable and his coat was beautiful, silky and manageable but now its very curly, he has a lot of under wool which matts easily and requires a lot more grooming. I had no intention of showing him either and was obviously prepared to forego his appearance if it insured his health but in retrospect, I think it would have been better to have opted for the removal of just the one testicle.
Weight gain is also a side effect, I manage to keep it under control but its hard as he can’t exercise so much now, ( he had a back injury, although not relevant) and is permanently hungry.
I had hoped that a good side effect would be that he became less of a target  for other uncastrated male dogs but this unfortunately wasn’t the case either, he‘s lost a lot of his confidence and tends to get a bit defensive and grumpy with male dogs now. This could ofcourse be age related and may well have happened anyway, I shall never know, but he‘s not as outgoing and tolerant with strange dogs as he used to be.
Its obviously a decision based on personal circumstances and the health of the dog and every case is different but if I had to make the decision again with Humphrey, I wouldn’t have had a full castration.
Hope that helps, whichever way you decide, take your time and get advice but don’t let anyone persuade you one way or the other.
 :luv:

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2023, 11:34:32 AM »
Thank you Bizzylizzy. This is really helpful and really interesting to hear the effect it has had on Humphrey. I really want to have the undescended one removed more due to the risk of cancer more than anything. Our vet (and we sought a second opinion) both said we could opt to keep one and remove the other but neither understandably could give us any info besides the health risks.
We can actually feel the other one in his groin so I don’t think it’ll be too tricky to find and the vet agrees. They also said we should do it before he is 5 years old so we should be looking to book him in any day now.

Our groomer has suggested that with either option we could continue to monitor his coat and they would tell us when it gets to a point whereby they see no benefit in him being hand stripped or if they feel it’s  getting to a point where they should stop,  should it change. They are a grooming school and highly experienced so I thoroughly trust their judgement and they are being really supportive too..

I just couldn’t find any other opinions or information regarding our scenario so I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 12:17:52 PM »
Jamie had an undescended testicle and I waited a couple of years but it never appeared.  He had it removed but left his other in situ.