Author Topic: Teaching to chew?  (Read 2663 times)

Offline russ-g

Teaching to chew?
« on: November 04, 2022, 02:50:11 PM »
Hi,

I watched a youtube video recently where the person/trainer said that he didn't let his cocker have chew toys because it just "taught the dog to chew". Is this a thing? I was under the impression that dogs chewed because of teething, and generally enjoyed chewing. Whilst I can appreciate some dogs chew more than others, I dont really know if I've taught my Stanley to chew or whether he would have done it anyway. We have many chew toys for him, and I tend to rotate them so he doesn't get bored. I just thought that was the done thing.

Any thoughts on the "you're only teaching your dog to chew by giving them toys" theory?

Cheers

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Teaching to chew?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 04:33:02 PM »
My young puppy 6 and half months and my 16 month old girl have lots of chew toys. They both get lots of pleasure from gnawing/ chewing them and they helped when the adult teeth were coming through.
I think most puppies have a need to chew and when Ned starts to chew something he shouldn’t, I direct him to what he is allowed.
The internet is very helpful but some contributors do like to ram their opinions onto others. .
I can see what  the YouTuber is trying to say but if you’re happy with Stanley having chews that’s fine too.
There is research that says gnawing/licking is calming to dogs and reduces stress
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 04:48:25 PM »
Never heard that one before!!  :lol2:
Surely that‘s what dogs do and always have done ?  ( Old Mother Hubbard knew that!  :005:)
Sure, they don’t always chew what we consider is good, but that’s not their fault, how can they know ? Far easier to be able to offer an alternative for them to gnaw on than just expect them to understand our shoes are tabu. Chewing is helpful when they‘re teething and is a natural way for dogs to relax and calm down, - obsessive chewing, as far as I‘m aware, can be a sign of stress or just plain boredom but I can‘t honestly see any harm in providing a good, safe chew toy to keep a dog happy.
 :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 05:08:14 PM »
Some of us knit, some of us chew  :005:
Lesley
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 06:29:30 PM »
Lesley

:005: :005: exactly!  :luv:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 06:40:18 PM »
Lesley

Does anyone knit chews?  :005:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 07:00:34 PM »
Lesley

Does anyone knit chews?  :005:

.....knit socks, comes to the same thing!  :lol2:

Offline russ-g

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »
Thanks everyone. Looking back, I think it might have been a gundog trainer, so it makes perfect sense they don't want to encourage chewing because that's no good when the dog eventually retrieves game!

Bought Stanley a couple of new chew toys yesterday and he's very happy :)