Author Topic: Neuter at 9 months?  (Read 2431 times)

Offline kobesdad

Neuter at 9 months?
« on: January 23, 2023, 07:20:04 PM »
Hello any advice would be most welcome.  My boy Kobe is nearly 9 months and I have booked him in for his neutering procedure in a months time.  The reason being he is now chasing female dogs out of the park and onto the main road.  He is like a teenager in love with the two he has done this too.   His recall is good in general but if he meets a female it is all forgotten.  Do you think neutering is the best cause of action?  Neutering seems quite controversial and I am a new first time dog daddy so please be gentle with your comments.   

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Neuter at 9 months?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 09:26:17 PM »
Hi, - you’re right, it can be a controversial subject and there are indeed good arguments both for and against so I think the decision really does depend on individual circumstances.
I finally had my dog neutered when he was about 5, one testical hadn’t descended and couldn’t be located and I was concerned about the risks of cancer but in retrospect I regret it as I feel it probably wasn’t necessary. His coat is ruined and has steadily become more and more difficult to manage and although there are a few other changes, I can‘t really say if they’re due to neutering or ageing, so I wouldn’t mention them as an argument against, but on the whole I personally wouldn’t have a dog neutered again, unless there was either a medical necessity or a serious behavioural problem or personal situation that required it.
To be honest, I don’t think neutering will necessarily  stop him chasing bitches, Humphrey still finds them more interesting than male dogs and is still aware if a neighbour’s dog is in season.
I would pesevere with improving the recall training and also the impulse control. Keep aside „jackpot treats“ and then practice recalling him while he’s playing with another dog or involved with something really exciting. A further thing you can start to train is a stop at distance, - a whistle is good for this. (This is also a very useful thing to learn if he‘s heading off towards a road for example)
Whatever you decide, do give it LOTS of thought, once its done its done and there’s no going back. Personally, I would give the training your best shot first and also give Koby the chance to mature, he‘s still young and obviously finds the ladies very enticing but with time I think you can overcome it. In the meantime, if you’re aware of any particular dogs in season, I‘d use a long lead.
Hope that helps ?

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 09:53:41 PM »
Totally agree with bizzylizzy.
I have a 9 month old boy too and don’t intend to have him neutered unless there is a medical or behaviour reason.   None of my boy dogs from the past have been castrated.
Ned has never been a humpy dog, his female sister is more so :005:
SHe has been spayed as there are more health benefits from neutering a bitch compared to a male.
Ned has good recall and can also stop on the whistle. I have always used a high value treat for whistle use and he never gets it at any other time, it helps that he is greedy.  it works very well.  Ned and your dog are still very young and stopping/recall has to be proved  in lots of different situations.  If you are not sure of your dog, keep him on an extended lead or a long line. Practice your recall and sitting but never give a command unless you are sure that the dog will obey because otherwise you are teaching the dog that it is ok to ignore you. 
I think you should try to predict situations.  Be alert to what could possibly happen and spot problems before they occur.  For the first year of all of my pups’  lives I have always tried to spot situations before the dog does, like being on high alert  :005:  So if your dog is off lead and you see in the distance a dog, put your boy on the lead so he cant just do as he pleases until you know he can be trusted. The first year is really hard work but if you put the training in, you will have a dog to be proud of and is a pleasure for many years to come.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline sophie.ivy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 12:50:46 PM »
It's a tricky decision with male dogs, but personally, I would wait until Kobe is fully grown and out of his adolescence before making your choice.

The teenage stage is a really tough one and you'll likely have to keep Kobe under closer control until the raging teenage hormones have settled down, but it won't last forever. I kept my girl on lead, long line or dropped lead during her adolescence as she had a double season then a phantom pregnancy and was a bit all over the shop and unpredictable (understandably!) It wasn't great, but it also wasn't forever and we discovered new, quieter walks and secure fields in the area. Like Vixen said, you just have to be on high alert during walks and pre-empt situations. I would always say to my husband 'constant vigilance' whenever we took her out!

I was on the fence about spaying, but I never wanted to see my girl go through a phantom pregnancy again so that was decision made. Sometimes, you just need to give it a bit of time to come to the right answer for you and your dog.

I would speak to your vet and get their thoughts - I know you can go down the non-surgical route of chemical castration and I believe it's reversible as it wears off over time. This might be an option to consider if your vet agrees.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 02:30:40 PM »
I would say that I to would only have a dog neutered as a medical need as I did with my present dog.
If the dog is a little Houdini and is running of etc after scent then that too may be a factor.  But I can see that the running into the road is a real fear.

I personally have never had a dog who roamed or was given the chance to do so, plus I have a cocker proof escape garden, at least in the rear :005: on the one occasion that Ollie was left out in the front garden by hubby and Mother in law they heard a howling and scratching at the front door and there was Sir wanting to get back in :luv: plus they had verbal telling off from me

Over the years I have felt somewhat intimidated by vets that castration was the expected choice if I was a responsible owner, indeed I even went so far as changing vets due to the subject being raised often. 

I too would wait until Kobe is grown..  Maybe a different walk or a little more on the lead or reel in the hope that this will pass,  - cockers are playful little monkeys and in the next month the situation might be a little better and you will feel more relaxed about waiting.

I am sure that you will make the right choice and Kobe has a very thoughtful owner, with his wellbeing at heart

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed