Author Topic: out walking  (Read 675 times)

Offline weekir

out walking
« on: October 06, 2011, 05:08:33 PM »
finding it hard to train badger to walk to my heel. his nose it always on the ground and wants to run about constantly...he will pull or lag behind. >:D any advice appreciated.thanks

Offline Beezzzkneez

Re: out walking
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:25:55 PM »
Can't give any practical advise, only tell you that 3 months is probably too young to expect him to walk to heel. It's natural for a Cocker to want to quarter the ground in front of you so heeling isn't something that comes easily to them, it'll take a while to reinforce the proper walk and practise heeling after he's had a good run around and sniff so he is not too hyperactive to listen.

I'm sure you'll get loads of more practical advise from more seasoned dog walkers!  ;)
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 07:09:18 PM »

Loose lead walking is something you have to teach a dog, it's not something they will just learn.  If you search the behaviour board for Loose Lead walking, you will find several threads - I posted a very detailed step-by-step method for loose-lead training on one of those very recently, but you will see various slightly different suggestions if you read through the previous threads on the subject.
Unless you are actively training loose lead walking, use a harness - that way a pup doesn't learn to pull on the lead, and you don't risk them injuring their neck pulling on a collar...  ;)

It can take months of consistent effort to train a really solid loose-lead walk, but it's better to start young before they learn bad habits...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline weekir

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:11:57 PM »
thank you for the advice  :luv: will have a wee read through now. x