Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Male 'v' Female ???

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mary:
It took us ages to make the decision over what sex to have.  I wanted a bitch, hubby wanted a dog.  Read a lot of opinions on COL and spoke to a few breeders too.  So many different opinions and so many contradictions! ;D  What you heard from one person, the next person would disagree ???
In the end we visited a litter at 4 weeks old and saw the parents.  It was then we made our decision.  We fell in love with the mum :D.  Our decision was made and everyones opinions then didn't matter! ;)
We now have our gorgeous little girl ;D

By that I'm not saying get a girl!  A friend has 2 absolutely gorgeous 12 week old boys.  Male/female, they are both lovely.                    

annabelle:
Many thanks to all of you for the great advice.  
I think asking the breeder might be my best bet then.  To be honest I don't mind what sex we have as long as they aren't the boss of the litter...the intermediate one sounds better for my circumstances.  I read somewhere that you should match your dog to your personality, and I'm a very quiet person really, so I wouldn't really wan't to be tested by my dog continously :(.  Don't really think I could cope with an overly dominant dog.  But as you say, the breeder should have a good idea, which is a good start :).  I have a book somewhere which outlines the tests that you can do for dominance.  I'll have to dig it out.
I'll be sure to let you all know when I have my little dog/bitch. Can't wait now ;D                    

Christine:
Hi annabelle, If they say  choose a dog that matches your own personality then, we've definately done that!  Our soon to be new puppy is the biggest, fatest little thing out of the litter that is first to the food bowl ;D just like us ;D                    

mill:
i too had this problem, some would say a bitch would be better then you would talk to someone else and the decision became harder,
i would go with a open mind and let the pup pick you, not very wise in someways, but well that is what i did and i am very happy with my little girl                    

Sheryl:
Phew, difficult question.  I am biased of course as I have two girls and all girls before that.  Haven't a clue what boys are like at all but I know girls are just lovely.!!                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version