Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

DNA test

(1/4) > >>

Leo0106:
So I'm looking for a bit of advice on where to look for a DNA test!
When we bought Leo we bought him as a purebred cocker spaniel. We saw mum and dad... We did a lot of research about the breeder to make sure he seemed reputable and we were given an 8 generation family tree.

When leo grew it became apparent he was not the 'standard' cocker look that I had certainly experienced in the past.
He is very tall (Springer size) with long legs.
My dog trainer thinks he has field spaniel in him, my groomer thinks he has Springer in him... Everyone else seems to think he's just not a cocker.

I'm really not bothered in term of being 'missold' as I love him not matter what he is but my curiosity needs feeding! And I would also like to ensure there are no issues with his insurance if it turns out he is a cross and he is insured as a pure bred.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a DNA test which is reliable but does not cost the earth?

Attached a photo for some expert opinions from you guys on here!! (And because I think he's a beaut!!)

Emilyoliver:
He looks like a cocker to me. Some are just leggy. What is his registered name? The test some are using for dna testing is by wisdom. It’s supposed to show different breeds in a few generations. I wouldn’t worry about insurance- he looks like a cocker and that’s what you believed you were buying. That’s as much proof as you need. He doesn’t look like anything else.

elaine.e:
It's not easy to judge size from a photo, but to me he looks like a working Cocker. They tend to vary in height and build much more than show types, so it might be that he's larger than the breed standard. But I don't see any Springer or Field Spaniel in his appearance.

Is he Kennel Club registered, or one of the other registration bodies that breeders can use where no checks are done? If he's KC registered, or if any of his ancestors were, you can use a free facility on the KC website, called MyKC, to look at the pedigrees and health testing of KC registered dogs.

I wouldn't worry about the insurance aspect. Even if he turned out to be a Cocker cross  I don't think it would affect the policy.

He's a handsome boy :D

bizzylizzy:
Leo‘s gorgeous, whatever he is! ( just saying...... ;))
 :luv: :luv:

ejp:
We had two working cockers at one point, Max had very long legs and was a tall boy.  He was in perfect proportion.  Bertie was more squat and stocky.  If they had been people, Max would have been a lean 6 foot tall boy and Bertie a probably a foot shorter and heavy set!  I think Leo definitely has a good bit of worker in there, and is just tall.  Fortunately he is devastatingly gorgeous as well  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version