Author Topic: 8.5 month old toileting during the night  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
8.5 month old toileting during the night
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:16:09 AM »
Hello COLers!

It's been a very long time since I have posted here. In October of last year I lost my beloved black CS 'Roxy' of 12.5 years. COL was always such a useful source of friendly information so I'm coming to you for help.

Just 3.5 weeks ago we took on an 8.5month old boy called 'Milo'. He a beautiful blue Roan and Tan boy, the sweetest nature, needs a little work but is showing fantastic promise.

My issue is that he is what I would call 80% house trained. We go for a walk around 7am each morning and again in the evening after his dinner usually around 6/7pm and is Raw Fed. On the 2 days I work in the office I have a dog walker come in and take him out so he's only ever on his own with our young cat (they get on brilliantly) for 2 hours tops as my husband comes home early afternoon as he's a postie. We have a 100ft lawned garden where he gets lots of play and therefore numerous opportunities to do his business. However, In the night we're finding that he wakes up, heads off to the hallway and has a wee and the past 2 nights a small poo. We've been trying to catch him in the act but just don't seem to hear him. It's all a bit strange because, I let him out at 10pm last night for his "final toilet" which he did both businesses and yet we woke up to a small mess again this morning. He's not unwell and therefore I think it's more of a training issue because he is fine throughout the daytime. He's also going in the same place on the hallway rug. Even though I'm thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting each time this doesn't appear to be deterring him.

When I wanted Roxy to go for a wee I used to take her out and whistle until she had done her business, offer lots of praise and head back in. I'm doing the same with Milo but I'm not sure he associates this method I'm using. When we see him wee we praise and offer a very small treat for the positive connotation, but I'm not sure he gets it. I also appreciate that we've only had him 3.5 weeks and he's still only 8.5 months old but the sooner we can nip it in the bud the better for us all. I just really need some help with the night time business....Does anyone have any advise they could offer please?

All the Best, Claire.
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline BarleyMo

Re: 8.5 month old toileting during the night
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 06:28:41 PM »
Hi Claire, I have just read your post from last year. I am having just the same issue with my male show cocker. Given a year has passed do you have any tips on how to solve this issue. Mine is 14 months old and still we have 'presents 'waiting for us some mornings - like you I would say 80-90% trained.
Thanks for your reply. Please PM me is you wish  Best K