Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

Becoming a breeder

(1/4) > >>

karen488:
I know that these words raise hairs on the back of the neck but...
We got our 1st show cocker 10 yes ago. Relatively easily. KC Reg. neutered her.
Then Bingley. Again relatively easily..KC reg. (we lost him earlier this yr to cancer 😢)
Then our worker Austin. All neutered as I don’t advocate backyard breeding.
My parents expressed an interest in getting a puppy.What has happened to the puppy market? Can’t find a decent pedigreed puppy for love nor money! Non KC reg dogs going for stupid prices and cockapoos selling at pedigreee prices!
I do not need to make a profit.
I’m a stay at home mum whose babies are leaving for uni.
I’d like to buy a bitch specifically to breed from.
I’d like to research and do it properly.
I’d like to find a breeder who will support me becoming a breeder. Guide me to stud dogs suitable etc.
In short I’d like to become someone’s apprentice! I’m in Kent. Any advice?

Emilyoliver:
Hi,
What strain are you planning to breed? And will the puppies be for the pet market or working/ both?

karen488:
Show quality Pets. I only want to do it if I can do it properly. 

Barry H:
Well, I say go for it.  Can offer no practical advice, but plenty of encouragement.  I daresay it will be hard work, but immensely rewarding.  If you think you can commit 100% then you may regret NOT doing it if/when you have the chance.  Every top breeder had to start with their first litter...

...and one thing is not in  doubt - the world needs more (responsibly bred) Cockers!

Wishing you every success.  And keep us updated on progress.  There must be lots of COL members who would love to do this but can't for one reason or another. 

karen488:
Thanks Barry. Suspect the hardest part is going to be finding the right bitch. It's bad enough finding a standard pet!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version