Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

Becoming a breeder

<< < (2/4) > >>

Emilyoliver:
Hi, sorry I don't know of any show breeders in the Kent area (only a few working ones who may have been able to help). 

Apologies of this is obvious, but just in case it isn't...  If I was planning to breed quality show type cockers, I'd be contacting the breed societies and getting in contact with breeders who actively show their dogs.  I think the only way you would be able to convince them to sell you a quality puppy (with the possibility of future removal of breeding endorsements) would be to show your dog.  And once it has been proven to be a good example of the breed and you have shown your commitment to bettering the breed, then they may agree to lift the endorsements and advise you on which lines/ stud to use.  My show type cockers were sold to me on that basis.  I didn't breed either of them, but the breeders were on hand to assist with grooming, showing and an agreement was in place that should I want to breed the bitch, I was to contact them in relation to lines that would be suitable and would complement my bitch.  It wouldn't be a quick process, and would involve a lot of commitment, but if you are serious about breeding quality cockers, then that is the way I would suggest you go about it.

karen488:
I think you’re right. Unfortunately I don’t actually want to show. Endorsements these days are pointless these days when people can make more by breeding cockabloodypoos. But I do get where you are coming from.  I’m not in any rush. I’ll keep my eyes open and make some tentative enquiries.

Jaysmumagain:
Wonder if this site will help http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/health.htm

It gives the breed standards and the health - was going to say requirements...maybe the wrong word.

I understand what you say about the endorsement point - but many true cocker spaniel breeder are really against mixed breeds too - in normal times I would say visit cocker shows and speak to breeders some are really friendly and might give advice.  Sadly not sure if they are going ahead.

karen488:
Thanks jays mum. Am not a fan of cross breeds which is my point about endorsements. They prevent people breeding quality pedigree pups but don’t prevent mating with a poodle to make a buck. Seems counter intuitive to me. :(

CMarten:
Hi, I'm new to this forum but not new to Cockers! I have an 8 yr old Orange Roan, and 2 yr old Black and Tan. I was in your situation 2 yrs ago wanting to get into breeding, well bred show Cockers. It took me a long time to find a breeder who was prepared to let me have a pup without endorsement. I did and have Flo. I have spent the last two years having her DNA tested, trained to platinum level obedience training, searching out the best stud dog I could find that suited my requirements to look for improvement in the litter. I can happily now say Flo is 5 weeks pregnant! Stick with it you have to really prove to breeders that you are not in it for the money and really want to add to the standard of the breed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version