Cocker Specific Discussion > Feeding

Puppy food - concerned and confused.

<< < (2/3) > >>

JohnMcL:
Hello!

Thanks for the replies.

Cazza, glad to hear Ash is doing well, I look out for your posts / updates. Good luck with the food change. We were given Royal Canin wet pouches and told Peanut was used to Royal Canin Cocker Puppy kibble, she wouldn’t eat either from her bowl but she eats the kibble as training(playing) treats and in the hide games. She isn’t a wolf it down eater.

Caro, what I mean by having what we’re having is I’ll cut a piece of raw chicken/fish/mince off whatever we’re having, quick pan fry and mix it into the kibble, i don’t add seasoning/sauce/flavouring etc. I keep it very plain and I don’t give her scraps as we tend to eat spicy stuff.
But I do agree that expecting her to come from fresh salmon to bog standard pouch wet food is unrealistic. I can’t comment on the posh wet food as I’ve not tried it out.

I think you’re right, I’ve given her a variety as we don’t eat the same meat/fish every day. I was sort of hoping to share meat/fish with her as the human portions are often big, chicken breasts seem to be enormous these days. However I don’t want to create a fussy eater so I’ll simplify.

I’m glad you’ve got to the bottom of Sam’s tummy issues. I’ve read of other dogs on here with chicken intolerance, I was surprised as never heard of chicken intolerance in any species. Thanks for the Dog Food link, I’m going to stick with the kibble I’ve got for now and stop making a problem for myself!

Have a great weekend!

John.

Mudmagnets:
Both my boys are mostly intolerant to chicken - found out the hard way as most do, and swapped chicken for turkey,  everything mostly ok they are fed Forthglade grain free complete meals (standard ones, not the expensive ranges) Minstrel likes most menus (except chicken) and Branston has Turkey/sweet potato with a little lamb mixed in. Average recipe price £1.40 per 395g tray 

Hope you get your little one sorted  :luv:

ejp:
Not a lot to add to what has been said already, keeping it simple is the way to go for now.  I feed Daisy raw and she does really well on it.  Pre mixed so really easy to deal with.  If you can get a routine set for now you can always change it out at a later date.  Definitely try a chicken wing or two, good for teeth and is a dinner all in one.  Don't worry if she has a picky day or two, they all do.

JohnMcL:
I thought I’d update this as there have been changes and It might help somebody else.
Peanut is now on tripe which makes me gag but she loves it. I mix a heaped tablespoon in with her complete kibble and the bowl is licked clean!
Coaxing her to eat is over.

The tripe is the straw that broke the camel’s back and my wife has moved out. Of course that can’t be the real reason, me spoiling both dogs is apparently the crux. I don’t see why spoiling two good natured, obedient, non aggressive dogs is bad. Unlike the kids they will never have to go out into the real world and cope on their own!

Tripe, it stinks, the stuff I use is frozen and I did not cook it - I can’t imagine the outcome had I cooked it, maybe the neighbour would have vacated too!

John  :005:

Finvarra:
I used to feed my scotties tripe, which I got delivered ,frozen from a pet food place, along with chicken. They absolutely loved it, but oh, the smell !!!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version