Cocker Specific Discussion > Feeding

Grapes and other poisons

<< < (2/3) > >>

Finvarra:
Dry - just two or three crystals, you have to get it down their throat, about ten minutes later 🤮.

bizzylizzy:
Ok! Good to know, thanks!   :luv:

Lobo do Mar:
One thing I do know is very dangerous is artificial sweetener
My mate back at 'home' in UK has a cocker mix and he snaffled a pack of sugar free chewing gum
He ended up in vets very ill and my mate ended up with a multi ŁK bill
It was a big surprise to my mate (they have had loads of dogs and know well the spanielness of this one - he completely peeled and de-stuffed a leather chair one day whilst they were all at work and could not get home as they watched him destroy it on the webcam they had installed  :005:) and to me to find out that artificial sweeteners were so dangerous
I heard you have to be careful to look at the ingredients on peanut butter for this reason too

Mudmagnets:

--- Quote from: Lobo do Mar on September 05, 2021, 10:59:29 AM ---One thing I do know is very dangerous is artificial sweetener
My mate back at 'home' in UK has a cocker mix and he snaffled a pack of sugar free chewing gum
He ended up in vets very ill and my mate ended up with a multi ŁK bill
It was a big surprise to my mate (they have had loads of dogs and know well the spanielness of this one - he completely peeled and de-stuffed a leather chair one day whilst they were all at work and could not get home as they watched him destroy it on the webcam they had installed  :005:) and to me to find out that artificial sweeteners were so dangerous
I heard you have to be careful to look at the ingredients on peanut butter for this reason too

--- End quote ---

The artificial sweetener in both chewing gum and some peanut butter (& some other products) is xylotol: this article and warning from Blue Cross animal charity will explain the dangers - hope it helps

00ps silly me https://www.bluecross.org.uk/             :shades:

Lobo do Mar:
Thanks
Couldnt find the link in your post so I DuckDuckGo'ed it:
https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/xylitol-poisoning-dogs
Great site that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version