Author Topic: How often is it ok to leave a Cocker Spaniel alone  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Trigger

How often is it ok to leave a Cocker Spaniel alone
« on: November 24, 2021, 12:53:24 PM »
Hi All,

After a bit of advice.

My two year old working cocker (Trigger) seems to be fine on his own (we worked hard during lockdown to make sure he still had time in the house on his own). Just keen to get some thoughts? Too much on his own, not enough?

Currently his week is typically
Monday - With me all day
Tuesday - Day care with circa 30mins on his own in the am and 1 hour on his own in the PM
Wednesday - 2 x 3 hour stints on his own
Thursday - With me all day
Friday - With me all day
Saturday - Maybe 1 - 3 hours on his own (very rarely)
Sunday - 3 maybe 4 hours on his own (but not if he's on his own on the Saturday)

I vary my walks each day with him and we have an active life with a young family which he is heavily involved within.

For context we have no issues with chewing on things, he has his own indoor space he is kept in with toys, water treats etc.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated, I am wanting to work hard to make sure as we transition to a less COVID restricted world Trigger isn't negatively effected.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: How often is it ok to leave a Cocker Spaniel alone
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 02:05:51 PM »
I would say that is absolutely fine and is just about the right ratio, he‘s not only learning to be left on his own but also that not every day is exactly the same and that the times vary, so that if you do find that you occasionally have to leave him for an hour or so longer, it shouldn’t be a problem.
At the end of the day, its all about the quality of the time you‘re together, many people are at home all day every day with their dogs but the dogs can still be bored and lonely if no one interacts with them.
As long as Trigger doesn’t appear to be stressed in any way and there are no signs of barking, scratching, toileting in the house, I wouldn‘t worry. Generally the accepted maximum length of time they can be left is around 6 hours but obviously that can vary depending on the individual dog, you know Trigger best and you obviously include him in family life so I‘m sure you‘d know if he wasn‘t happy.
Well done for working on the transition though!!! ! SO many people don’t and the result, post lockdown, is and awful lot of unhappy  and stressed dogs (one of whom lives at the back of us, is left outside all day and is so stressed it breaks my heart 😢)
  :luv:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: How often is it ok to leave a Cocker Spaniel alone
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 02:15:24 PM »
Well to it sounds very good to me too a good balance. But these cockers are very much people dogs

My boy is over 13 and when he was young and I worked 4 days a week - there was just one day that I was out 8am till 4 pm rest 4 hours and my OH worked away so my mum in law came mid morning and had lunch at ours fed and played and walked him.  She used to also call on way to my sister in law and Monday and most Mondays hubby was home too.  Funny things are still very much the same Ollie's Nana comes each Wednesday :luv:
The other days I was out for 4 hours max.

If we had a mishap at work and it was all hands on deck Ollie used to come back with me .... I should mention my boss was responsible for finding Ollie after I lost my other boy.

I think you balance seems fine and you have a good little boy in Trigger.
I think you would certainly know if things weren't working out
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed