Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

Kidney disease

<< < (2/2)

chriswilliams:

--- Quote from: sueneil on January 22, 2022, 11:09:33 PM ---I'm sorry for your loss. Most responsible breeders carry out health tests and work hard to eradicate inherited health conditions. Was your dog from health tested parents?

--- End quote ---
Yes, unfortunately when we bought all 3 we had never heard of coefficient scores, they were all KC registered with a distinguished ancestry and all parents were health tested. After we lost Lily at 6yrs we looked into it and all had a high score, our 4th Luna is from a different breeder and we checked the coefficient before getting her. When we got Lily we had a big problem getting any paperwork and we are not sure that everything was ‘kosher’, we were give many strange excuses by the KC registered breeder but we trusted her because of her involvement in show judging.

sueneil:
I'm very concerned the breeder is involved in showing/judging especially as I am the health and welfare officer for The Cocker Spaniel Club. We have a code of ethics for breeders/owners who are members of the Club. I am totally committed to health checking and testing and do all I can to encourage everyone to test and report their results and to be open and honest when selling puppies.

ejp:
Very sorry for your loss.

JohnMcL:
I’m so sorry for your loss and sorry that you’re going through this again; it’s heartbreaking.  Is the breeder aware?

John

Jaysmumagain:
I too am so very sorry for your loss - this really does make you think of the pitfalls finding our four legged friends, Ollie was a rescue so he came free of knowledge of test etc.

I hope sometime you can find another four legged friend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version