Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

Breeding for Colour

(1/2) > >>

Jo W:
Can you breed for colour in cockers, or is it 'luck of the draw' somewhat?                    

Mike:
This is a good thread that mostly answers that question, Jo.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewtopic . php?t=482

Genetics is a fascinating area!                    

Jo W:
Thanks Mike.  I was interested in how Nikki's Ebbie (solid black) produced Finn (orange and white and very cute).

From what Jane S says in the link you provided I guess that both Ebbie and the sire must have carried recessive parti-colour genes and Finn got them both???

Is colour linked to sex e.g. tortoiseshell cats are only ever female - are any of the colour combinations in dogs linked like this?                    

Mike:
Yes I think that's how Finn was produced - however, to make it a bit more complicated, Finn I believe is classed as a mismarked Gold - Jane/Nikki, does that class him as a solid then?

No idea about colour being linked to sex - my instincts say no, and that's based purely on having seen most colours/combinations in either sex on this site during the past year.                    

Jane S:
Nikki's Finn would not be classed as a particolour - I guess the best way to describe him would be gold with white markings but he couldn't be described as orange roan or orange & white as he's predominately gold.

No there's no sex link between colour inheritance in Cockers as there is in Tortie cats - either sex can carry any of the colour genes which is what makes breeding so interesting sometimes :)                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version