Cocker Specific Discussion > Genetics & Breeding

Calcium

(1/1)

Anonymous:
Hi

What are all your views on giving a calcium supplement AFTER the last pup has been whelped.  My vet recommended NOT giving it last time and my bitch went down with a really bad eclampsia and as Rosie is due in 8 days I just wondered what you all thought on supplementing??                    

Jane S:
Some breeders do give calcium after all the puppies are born (but not beforehand obviously) but we have never done so & have had only one bitch with eclampsia, which was our v first litter (over 15 years ago) when we innocently followed another breeder's advice to supplement with calcium during pregnancy - a recipe for disaster! I know how frightening eclampsia is but I still prefer not to supplement with calcium at all, unless perhaps the bitch has had a problem before (not sure from your post whether Rosie is the bitch that had eclampsia last time).                    

shaendix:
If you are feeding a premium food you probably don't need it.                    

LouiseH:
My bitches normally get a premium quality complete food during and after pregnancy and lots of milk, eggs, cheese etc so I do not find the need to supplement with calcium and have not had any problems in the past. As long as she is being fed a balanced diet I wouldn't worry too much at this stage.                    

cbabe:
I was warned against supplimenting because it can have the opposite to the desired effect.

A good general diet is the key - all through the pregnancy and beyond.

We have chickens and i boil a couple of eggs when she is carrying or feeding pups and give them to her as treats - she loves carrying them off to eat! (NO SHELLS)

Just keep it constant.

clare                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version