Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Lupi Harnesses

(1/5) > >>

jakieboy:
Just posted something about these on another site and it was suggested by pammy to post on here as well.

I bought one of these for Ebbie a couple of weeks ago now - it's the only bit of training i have never been able to stop ebbie from doing - pulling on the lead - i've tried everything, read about these in one of the dog magazines and thought for £7.00 it's worth a try.  (I did try a halti a few yrs back and she was so stressed on it - i couldn't put her through it, rather have her pulling).  Also thought that now i have finn - i just wouldn't be able to cope with 2 dogs pulling me round the park lol (and yes finn is already taking after his mum on this one  ::) he'll end up with one as well once he is fully grown - although still plenty of time to try and train him out of it).

And my god - what a difference - i'm not saying it's all roses - especially when i first put it on, she still does her mental bit and struggles to the door, but once outside - she's a different dog, as soon as she feels the pressure on her chest - she goes slower.  It doesn't seem to get caught up in featherings (although i do make sure i trim her armpits so to speak).  One word of advice though - go for the small, i bought medium and it's far too big (follow the instructions to cut down), it's still a little bit loose - which doesn't matter when they are on the lead, but they go really loose when off (finn's fav game is trying to catch hold of ebbie's lead).

So for anyone out there - who has problems - try one - not saying it's the answer for everyone but who knows - it worked for me  ;D

Nikki x                    

Jane S:
Several of my grooming "clients" have Lupis - they are also meant to be v good for dogs with back problems apparently. The only drawback I can see with them is that being a harness, they do tend to matt up the coat underneath so probably would be no good for those Cockers with heavy coats and/or show dogs. Worth a try though for those who can't get on with Haltis etc :)                    

Pammy:

--- Quote from: Jane S on April 11, 2003, 11:12:31 AM --- The only drawback I can see with them is that being a harness, they do tend to matt up the coat underneath so probably would be no good for those Cockers with heavy coats and/or show dogs.
--- End quote ---

This is my fear with harnesses Jane but Nicki seems to be having a good result with this one. Do any other members have a harness? If so what type and do they find it matt's the fur at all?

I'd love to find one that is suitable for Cockers as I'd use it on Jasper so I could take them both out together by myself! But I don't want it to matt the coat. Jasper loathed the kumfi head collar - was unbearable with it - and we did persevere so I wanted a harness. Might give the lupi a go.

Thanks Nicki ;D                    

Jane S:
I would guess you'd be ok with a Lupi as your boys are regularly groomed so you'd catch any little tangles before they became big matts ;) I don't think the Lupi gets tangled up in the feathering so much as the straps cause a bit of friction rubbing against the hair which can cause matts, but then the dogs I see that use them are not ones which are brushed out every day which must make a difference ;D                    

Jo W:
Mum used a harness similar to the Lupi ones on her terrier and it rubbed her 'arm pits' and made them sore.  She's a lot less hairy than a spaniel though.  I use a Canac harness on Amber  ::)                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version