Cocker Specific Discussion > Feeding

Puppies and BARF

<< < (2/4) > >>

clairep4:
Thanks for the replies. Silkstocking did you basically feed them on the same as an adult dog in terms of content then? I think I'd better do some quick reading on it all before little Zorro arrives and starts cutting "Z" into the doors with his needle teeth  :005:

He's on Burns at the moment so I was thinking of just introducing one meal a day which would be minced up beef, chicken or whatever but without the bone, but at least so his tummy gets used to dealing with raw meat early on, and then maybe do as you did and from 4 months introduce chicken wings. It will be interesting raising a pup on BARF, Bella was put on at 9 months and it made such a difference to her.

silkstocking:

--- Quote from: clairep4 on October 13, 2006, 11:04:53 AM ---Thanks for the replies. Silkstocking did you basically feed them on the same as an adult dog in terms of content then? I think I'd better do some quick reading on it all before little Zorro arrives and starts cutting "Z" into the doors with his needle teeth  :005:

He's on Burns at the moment so I was thinking of just introducing one meal a day which would be minced up beef, chicken or whatever but without the bone, but at least so his tummy gets used to dealing with raw meat early on, and then maybe do as you did and from 4 months introduce chicken wings. It will be interesting raising a pup on BARF, Bella was put on at 9 months and it made such a difference to her.

--- End quote ---

Yes, they had pretty much what they have now,( chicken, rabbit, tripe, beef etc) just with the bones ground in! When they were on four meals they had scrambled eggs for breakfast with cottage cheese or natural yoghurt and then they had 3 meat meals with puried veggies included as and when, oh........... and one meal had a small handful of wholemeal biscuits in.

clairep4:
Thanks Lisa - he's been having chicken wings and mince already (plus Burns) so I think he'll be fine - what you gave yours sounds very sensible.  :D

maximus:
Does anyone know how much in weight a 7-8 week old puppy should be having of mince, our pup comes home tomorrow and i've spoken to the lady in our pet shop (very into BARF) and she recommended we go for it right from the start, she said her toy breed puppies were mananging wings at 9-10 weeks so she doesn't think it will to long before our little one will be able to cope with wings.  :D

Also is it ok to give him raw eggs and tripe?

He is on CSJ at the moment but i plan include a couple of raw feeds this week and increase it gradually. :blink:

silkstocking:

--- Quote from: maximus on October 13, 2006, 07:57:25 PM ---Does anyone know how much in weight a 7-8 week old puppy should be having of mince, our pup comes home tomorrow and i've spoken to the lady in our pet shop (very into BARF) and she recommended we go for it right from the start, she said her toy breed puppies were mananging wings at 9-10 weeks so she doesn't think it will to long before our little one will be able to cope with wings.  :D

Also is it ok to give him raw eggs and tripe?

He is on CSJ at the moment but i plan include a couple of raw feeds this week and increase it gradually. :blink:

--- End quote ---

Tripe is fine. As for how much in weight, erm I never weighed anything  ph34r  but each meal was about a handful of mince.

I can't imagine a 9-10 week old pup tackling a chicken wing, it must be a sight to behold!!

Not sure about raw eggs at that age. I cant see it being a problem though. Mine had scrambled eggs as pups and LOVED them!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version