Cocker Specific Discussion > General Cocker Spaniel Discussion

Buying for our puppy

(1/3) > >>

shonajoy:
We are getting our puppy in three weeks, and I have been buying a few bits and pieces. I have a fleecy blanket, a bed, a crate for travelling, and bowls. I also got a soft leather puppy collar to get him used to wearing one,loads of toys, Burns puppy food (I'll keep his diet the same changing gradually), three types of brushes, a harness for training eventually, and puppy pads in case of accidents.

What I'd like to know is if I need anything else, and if there is something you recommend I should get?

I've also got his insurance in place starting at the right time.

Thanks                    

jackofclubs:
Hi!

My boy is only just over a year old, so I still remember the puppy stage well.  

Sounds like you're better prepared than I was, but if I could suggest anything else it would be as follows-

- disinfectant spray for cleaning up accidents/carpet shampoo if you have carpets...
- lots of things for the puppy to chew
- make sure all shoes, wiring, mobile phone chargers etc are not left on the floor or within reach.... (I've lost countless shoes, pairs of glasses etc )

Good luck!  Sam and Xavi                    

Colin:
You do seem very well organised and have most things covered from what I can see. :) Have you got a Kong or treat ball ? They are good for when leaving the pup alone, something to occupy their minds.

When you say a training harness, do you mean a body harness ? I use one of these for my older dog , Jimmy, as he pulls badly on the lead. Misty's trainer though reckons they encourage lead pulling as it makes things more comfortable for them to do this and he bans us from using them. It might be a better idea to persist with collar and lead at first to train your pup not to pull ....... it didn't work for me with the pesky Jimmy but I'm having more luck with Misty. :) Another big mistake I made was using an extendable lead with Jimmy as a puppy,  second time round I've learnt from my mistakes and so far, touch wood, things are working out better.

I look forward to seeing pics of your puppy, you must be getting so excited now. ;D                    

Eljay:
As Colin says, you have most things covered , but one thing I ended up getting was some chew repellent, to spray on any pieces of furniture you would like to keep.  ::)  I had to get this for Alfie when he took a shine to my dining room chairs!!! Luckily it stopped the problem.                    

Loraine:
You're well organised!! Some people get on really well with those puppy training pads but some don't.  You'd be just as well to save your money and use newspaper in which case perhaps you should start collecting old ones now, you'll need 'em!!                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version