Author Topic: Windows 7 problem?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Windows 7 problem?
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »
I have a lovely new desktop PC, much quicker than the old steam driven one :005:.

It has Windows 7 installed, so I'm learning my way round that (had Windows XP before) but I have a problem sometimes when I click on something and nothing happens >:(

On COL about half the time when I click on "show unread posts since last visit" or "show new replies to your posts" or when I want to post a reply and click on "post" nothing happens. It seems quite random as about half the time it works and half the time it doesn't and may take me 2 or 3 goes before it responds.

I had the same problem on Google earlier. It let me search but didn't respond when I clicked on the button to get the dropdown menu to change the search to UK only. I had several tries and nothing happened.

It's nothing to do with things needing either a double click or single click as I've checked that out.

Any advice please? :D

Offline nigec

• Henry
    • 3d stuff
Re: Windows 7 problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
When I got my new PC with Win7 in October it was running Internet Explorer 8 which ran aweful, the current version is IE9 which should work fine
I'm pretty sure you would of had nags to update and recently there was a browser choice appear on my desktop

The other thing is you run Norton's internet software that can slow things down, I've never used it but my sister is always complaining about hers

if you play farmville and use the snag bars they kill Internet Explorer!

Chrome and Firefox are a lot faster than IE9, it doesn't hurt to try a different one, just don't make them the default brower until your sure you want to change, personally I stick with IE9 but I do have Firefox which is better for web site stuff

Is it just the internet that doesn't respond? If its doing it with everything, ie desktop, downloaded games etc it could be the mouse click delay needs adjusting

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Windows 7 problem?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
Thanks for your reply and ideas nigec :blink:

I'm still struggling with the problem even though I've done quite a few internet searches on the subject and tried a few things.

It's just the internet, nothing else, so I know it's not the mouse click delay. I've also tried a different mouse with the system and have the same problem so I know it's not my mouse.

I think my new PC has IE8 so I'll check and if so try IE9 instead to see if that makes a difference. If not I can try Google Chrome or Firefox.

I don't have Norton as I had it a few years ago and it slowed everything.