Author Topic: Advice needed re new printer/scanner please!  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Lovely

Advice needed re new printer/scanner please!
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »
I've taken the plunge and ordered a laptop, now i want a printer/scanner. There seems to be a wide price range, i was looking at around £60 not including ink. There's an HP5510 photosmart on ebay for around £50 new incl delivery. Is this a good one? I'll be scanning in photos and also printing them. Advice badly needed! Hopefully this time next week i'll be up and running and boring you all with photos of Lovely!
Ali

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Advice needed re new printer/scanner please!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »
Also need to look at the cost of ink cartridges - some are very expensive.  :D

Here's a review of the printer
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/printers/hp-photosmart-5510-review-50005694/
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »
Its got good reviews and thats a really good price. Have to admit, I swear by Canon. They have excellent software which makes it easy to transfer scanned images etc into the computer. They also have individual ink tanks which saves money. I buy in bulk from Amazon. A box of 5 sets of cartridges (I.e. 5 of each colour) is about £15. They are re-filled ones but I've never had a problem with quality. My printer is quite an expensive one because I need it to print onto CDs but my Mum has a cheap Canon and it's great for her needs.

Offline Lovely

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »
Thanks guys my brain is feeling pretty addled i don't really know much about computers, i ordered the laptop and sorted out ordering the home hub thingy yesterday, i'll order the printer tomorrow as at mo i'm having to use the public access computer at the children's centre to order online. I've been saving for ages for this lot, just hope i haven't ordered rubbish stuff. Lovely is at vet's at mo as spay day today, so i'm a bit muddle headed!
Ali

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
Have to admit to being a bit of a canon girl myself as well - but having said that the printer reviews for the one you've ordered do look really good and as Archie Bean has said, running costs look low so I reckon you've got yourself a goodie  ;)
 :bigarmhug:'s for the muddle headed day.... never easy when they're away from us, especially having surgery.  Hope your girls back home with you and recovering soon  :luv: xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
:) Looking forward to seeing photos of Lovely & Spud! You'll never be off COL with a laptop - don't have a read of my Facebook thread cos with the COL Family, that'll be in your bookmarks too  :005:  ;)
Hope Lovely goes on well today - of course she will  :bigarmhug:

The printer you're looking at looks quite good! HP here too, might be good luck but they've (the 2 I've used) have lasted years - and as Archie Bean posted HP Refills are a good way to go to keep your cartridges cheaper.

Any help needed on the Home Hub just let us know - for the first few days they can be a little unsteady (the speeds vary), but as soon as they've hit the max speed you'll have good internet!

Offline Lovely

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »
Thanks BeeBoo i'm sure i will be on here asking for computer advice for the next few weeks/months/years! Lovely now home, curled up on the sofa, still a bit spaced out poor girl. Very happy to have her home. Think will get the HP printer i mentioned provided Lovely is ok to be left a short while when i go to the children's centre tomorrow. Can't wait to be online, but fear there will be much swearing and gnashing of teeth while i try to set it all up!
Ali

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
I have always favoured HP printers and have had several over the years since I first got a computer in the mid 1990s, and currently have an HP Photosmart C4480, printer/scanner/copier, which must be about 3 years old now. I knocked it onto the floor from my desk not long ago but it still works fine! HP ink cartidges are very expensive, though, but compared to Epson, for instance, the colours are much more vibrant.

Hope Lovely is getting lots of cuddles after her stressful day! Can't wait to see photos!
To know them is to love them.....

Offline Lovely

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »
Ok printer and ink cartridges ordered so just got to wait for it all to come and then the fun of setting it up begins. Spent night sleeping on floor with Lovely as she kept crying, feel a bit stiff! She's back to herself today though, not much hope of slowing her down, nose in everything!
Ali

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 02:43:35 PM »
Glad Lovely is back to herself :) Can't wait to see her piccies!!