Author Topic: Anal Glands problem - Updated  (Read 1105 times)

Offline woodlander

Anal Glands problem - Updated
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Sweep is now 6 and we have never had a major problem with her glands until it would seem until now.  We have been to vet twice in 2 weeks to have them emptied and both times she said they were very full (and smelly!) but not infected.  She suggested we add some oat bran to her food which we have done to try and harden up her poo.  There has been an improvement but still it seems she is not emptying them herself as she is a bit smelly at the back end this morning.
I am reluctant to have them emptied at the vet again as i have read on here that too much manual emptying can cause problems in itself.  
Should we persevere with the bran and also try a chicken wing as others have or has anyone got any other ideas?  
She's fed Lily's kitchen mixture of wet and kibble and I am trying like mad to get OH not to give too many treats.  >:D
Many thanks

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Re: Anal Glands problem
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »
Have had the same problems. My vet recommended Weetabix and it has really helped. However, every now and then Honey will lick her back end and its obvious that she has emptied them herself :shades: I haven't had to go back to the vets though...
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
I'd persevere with the oat bran (and chicken wing if you're happy to add that).  And keep a close eye on her - if she starts licking her back end a lot and looks uncomfortable, then take her to the vet as you don't want an infection starting.

My now 9yo cocker had a similar late-onset anal gland problem, but they were infected as well.  Had to have them emptied every week for over a month.  and he had them packed once.  I've added chick wings to his diet once a week and that seems to have helped.  But otherwise, i watch him carefully, and take him to have them emptied as soon as he starts looking uncomfortable.  It's working well so far.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:58:09 AM »
My two get two chickens wings once a week and bran on their food as recommended by our breeder and touch wood, don't have any problems. The breeder did say that vets tend to completely empty them when really only a small amount should be taken out as they just fill up again quickly when completely emptied. The vet was horrifeid I give them chicken wings but we have never had a problem >:(
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
I tried giving bran but just swapped to pro fibre http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-pro-fibre-for-dogs-500g.html which has helped more than anything

It's not pleasant for them or us  ph34r
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline woodlander

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.  Sweep seems to be comfortable not much scooting just a bit smelly but obviously will keep an eye on her.
I think we will carry on with bran but if no joy may try the protexin pro fibre.  We have got to go the vets in early December for annual boosters so she can check glands then if not before.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »
Poor Sweep  :'( Adding bone to Charlies diet and eliminating wheat was the only thing that helped him. Hope things get better for her soon.

Offline woodlander

Re: Anal Glands problem - Updated
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 09:38:50 AM »
Well - I think we may be winning!  Not quite as smelly this morning  :D and also a little "botty pop" as we were going up the stairs.  Don't know about you guys but when Sweep runs up the stairs I can usually hear little popping sounds which is the air being squeezed out of the glands - a good sign that they are empty.
Poos better too - so thanks to one and all.  Your thought for the day is -:
Happiness is a "botty pop"  :005:

Offline CatherineL

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »
Glad that things seem to be getting better.  I've noticed that Archie has been a bit smelly at time from his glands.  What oat bran are you using and how much/ofter do you give it.  Thought I might try it to see if it helps

Offline woodlander

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Hi, I bought Mornflake Oat Bran £1.99 for 800g from Waitrose.  Vet suggested oat bran (rather than wheat) and I have been sprinkling a dessert spoon on her food twice a day.  This is really trial and error at the moment.  Just means there's a bit "more" to pick up on walkies!!   :shades:
Would hope to reduce the amount a bit once we have got this under control but in the meantime may need to up it a bit.  I guess it all depends on your dog.  Hope you have some sucess