Author Topic: worms,again !!  (Read 484 times)

Offline joeyhall

worms,again !!
« on: February 23, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »
hi all i have 3 dogs 6 months old cocker ,4 year old cocker and a jack russel x shih tzu, everytime we take them to vets bang on every three months for there wormer one always has a worm in there poo the next day !

what are we doing wrong its making us feel sick and we have another day of bkleaching ahead,they are all due at different times of the quarter could this be the problem ?

Offline Toofast

Re: worms,again !!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 08:38:27 PM »
Hi,
Sounds as if you have a problem with these continuous worms! Are the dogs suffering from a flea infestation too? Flea infestation can lead to a worm problem.
I would treat all dogs at the same time with the same medication. Speak to your vet about an all in one treatment for all 3 dogs, make sure they always get a full strength dose.
As much as many people dislike the use of some chemicals there are times when we find that they just have to be used!
I use Advocate for an all in one tick, flea and worm treatment during warmer months but break the cycle in the winter when the ticks and fleas are less likely to be active and just worm them.

Offline clairebsc

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 09:44:10 PM »
Advocate does not kill ticks nor i think round worm need frontline for tick or a collar  and drontal or milbemax for roundworm  or could have been tape worm

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:11:20 PM »
advocate is good for some things but I only ever use if needed for that problem as its not good as a general wormer/flea treater - the rescue used to use it all the time but were finding dogs were still having problems with worms when they were rehomed

I was told that dogs can even get worms not long after they've been treated - it was explained to me but have forgotten
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline crazybailey

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:00 PM »
Advocate actually does all worms (including the dreaded lungworm) and flea, except tape worm which you can use droncit. so if you need tick you need to discuss with vet (Advantix or frontline/ something with fipronil I think are options for tick, apparently the fipronil still works on tick even though fleas are getting resistant to it, but you would then be doing a spot on fortnightly alternating them which is quite hardcore). I would get them all on the same cycle for worm and fleeing as they could be re infecting eachother. Some people here use Billy no mates as a natural remedy for flea and tick but I haven't used so don't know how reliable it is, although as you seem to have a worm problem you may need to hit everything chemically to get it undercontrol first as the flea / worm infection cycle is linked.

I do tend to use tea tree to bath my dog, but then I don't bath him unless he is DISCUSTING or i'm going to clip him.
I'm normally on my phone, please forgive any typing errors!