Author Topic: It's all coming together nicely  (Read 9632 times)

Offline Ernies mum

It's all coming together nicely
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:28:34 PM »
After struggling to multi task at agility lessons ... Me not Ernie  :005:!! I seem to have got the hang of it & my georgous little pocket rocket is doing brilliantly  :luv:.
At the suggestion of the instructor I now leave the ball at the end of the course & Ernie " drives to the ball " & this works well for us . We've mastered wing wraps & front crosses & Ernie has learned to stop & make the contact at the bottom of the A frame & the dog walk . It's such fun & I'm hoping we can progress to do a show in few more weeks !

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: It's all coming together nicely
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:20:05 PM »
Oh wow - that sounds super!! I've got Humphrey down for a a training class in Septemeber just to see how he does, but I haven't got much confidence in my own abilities to be honest :005:
Keep us updated, would love to hear how you're both getting on!

Offline tenaille

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:24:26 AM »
brilliant, we are hoping to do some agility with Martha as well

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:40:33 AM »
Brilliant! Sounds much like what I'm doing with Monty at the moment! He loves it! We've got a private lesson today so we will have to see how that goes!!!

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 01:03:46 PM »
Oh wow - that sounds super!! I've got Humphrey down for a a training class in Septemeber just to see how he does, but I haven't got much confidence in my own abilities to be honest :005:
Keep us updated, would love to hear how you're both getting on!

Yes it's great , believe me if I can master the commands then so can you  ;)

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
I can't recommend agility enough , it's such fun & great way to " work " a busy spaniel  :D :D.

Enjoy everyone & please share your progress , will be interesting to hear how you're all getting on !

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »
We've moved onto putting more combinations together now , working on perfecting my " commands & cheerleading " ... Apparently I need to be more exciting & enthusiastic as I run round with Ernie ... At the moment I'm occasionally distracted by trying to remember the course that I forget to tell Ernie what to do  :005:.
How are the rest of you getting on ?

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 09:56:32 PM »
I have no problem "cheerleading" I scream and shout and cheer like a mad woman! But it definitely helps that Monty would cross a motorway for a tennis ball!!!! He loves agility so much! We had a private lesson the other week, and our trainer said that she's so impressed with how quickly he picks everything up! We're only doing basic stuff, but it's great fun practising around trees, across benches etc whilst we're on walks!
Agree that Monty loves to "work" and whenever we get home he's physically and mentally tired! It's fab! X

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »
Ha fabulous pollyspaull , yes Ernie will do anything for his beloved ball too ... Although last week due to my delayed commands he decided to go " solo " towards the end of the course & picked the quickest route to get to his ball  :005:!
Sounds like Monty is doing great , we have fun practicing whilst we're out & about too . I'll look forward to hear how you're both progressing  ;)

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
Another great night at training this evening - Ernie & I have completed a course with 16 obstacles ( don't know whether that's the correct term ) , according to our trainer a competition has 21 so we're progressing nicely  :D

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 07:43:21 AM »
Wow! That's brilliant, well done! We're a long way off doing that but also had a fab time at our training yesterday!
Montys favourite ever thing is tunnels! Can't keep him out of them!

Offline Ernies mum

Re: It's all coming together nicely update 3/11/16
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 09:26:17 PM »
Ernie & I have had few weeks off from agility as I hurt my back . However we're now back & our lessons have moved inside . Ernie was bit distracted at first , it's  in an indoor " school " so lots of horse smells to investigate . Tonight was our second session inside & Ernie was much more focused . We've been practicing " blind turns & crosses "  & this definitely helps me to get a head of Ernie as I can take some short cuts  :005: . Our only problem is that Ernie has decided that going up the dog walk inside is very scary , we've practiced getting him to put his paws on & off & been doing clicker training to " mark " him doing this . Our trainer says we'll just have to take it one step at a time as making him go up it would only make him worried . Bizarre as he wasn't at all worried when we trained outside  :huh:
How's everyone else getting on ?

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 10:09:54 PM »
Our classes got cancelled and haven't managed to find anywhere local so far.  :huh: Will probably have to wait til next year now though!

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »
Oh that's a shame bizzy Lizzy - have you searched on agility net ? That's were I found details of our current class  ;)

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 07:56:23 AM »
We're getting on well! We're working on front crosses etc which is good fun, if not slightly confusing!!!
We're now doing sequences of about 8 pieces of equipment which Monty is loving!
We've been practising running along the dog walk (with a plank of it placed flat on the ground) but due to his hip dysplasia he is struggling to keep his back paws on the walk when running at full speed! Bless him, so not sure we will be able to include that piece of equipment in our sequences! Although we're still trying! Monty and I both love doing it, and will be doing it with the new puppy also!